From: milton@krutt.org (Milton Krutt)
To: kernelnewbies@lists.kernelnewbies.org
Subject: How do _you_ read the linux source?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 02:16:49 +0200	[thread overview]

> On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 06:57:49PM -0700, r00nk at simplecpu.com wrote:
> > 	The problem a lot of newbies are having is in 'separating the trunk
> > from the leaves.' So my question is this: Experienced kernel developers, how
> > do _you_ read source code? How do you separate the trunk from the leaves?
> > What do you do when you read code you're not familiar with? How do you learn?
> > What's your algorithm?

Maybe it could help to firstly focus on data structures/types rather than functions;
and I would discourage to read code like a book, I mean from left to right and
from top to bottom. And, take a subsystem/part (even if it's very small) of interest
and just focus on it. For instance, I guess there is plenty of documentation on how
linux boots up: read it, and search through the source where what you have read is done.

compile your own kernel, if you haven't done it yet!

HTH