On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:50:57AM +0000, Fam Zheng wrote: > v3: Replace previous 13 with a simple return type conversion patch. > Drop RFC. > > This carries out the mandate in the comment of qemu_set_fd_handler2 and removes > fd_read_poll from the code base, because it will make the work easier to > convert ppoll to epoll in main loop. Also, the aio interface doesn't have a > read poll callback, which means this conversion woule be necessary if we want > to move iohandler fds from main loop to AioContext. > > There are five users of the read poll callback now: qemu-nbd, l2tpv3, netmap, > socket and tap, which are all covered. > > Patch 1 adds a stub for qemu_set_fd_handler which will be referenced in coming > patches. > > Patch 2 converts qemu-nbd which compares two global numbers in the fd_read_poll > callback. > > Patches 3~6 converts the four net devices, all of which checks > qemu_can_send_packet() in the callback. > > Patch 7 and 8 finally removes the function. > > The rest patches are cleanup for the unuseful return value of > qemu_set_fd_handler. > > Please review! I looked at the first few patches. The qemu-nbd.c conversion is good. It finds locations where read_poll state transitions happen and updates file descriptor monitoring there. The l2tpv3 and netmap conversion throws away read_poll and introduces problems instead. Please look at the patches again and either: 1. Convert everything like you converted qemu-nbd.c. This is a conservative approach and we can be confident that behavior is unchanged. 2. Convert more carefully, making sure that packets are actually dropped and QEMU does not spin on a readable fd. I prefer #1 because it's easier to check that behavior is still correct. It also minimizes queuing inside QEMU. Stefan