From: Arno Wagner <arno@wagner.name>
To: dm-crypt@saout.de
Subject: Re: [dm-crypt] question regarding Sha1 and 512 bit key xts mode
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:05:45 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 12:04:08 CEST, Michael Kjörling wrote:
[...]
> That's not to say that LUKS is invulnerable, especially in practice.
> It does however make it seem likely that an adversary would pick a
> different attack. It would be much cheaper, and less obvious, to
> install a key logger, or hire some criminals to kidnap and torture
> your family until you give up the passphrase.

Or maybe expose what websites you were subscribed on to your
wive, or hack your computer and put some illegal stuff on it
and threaten to tell the authorities. "Rubber hose" crypto does
not need physical presence anymore these days.

I very much agree, and so does what we observe in practice. The
crypto can be made hard enough to be secure in the sense that
an attack on it costs far too much. I believe LUKS has that at
this time with the defaults. But the surrounding systems are an
entirely different matter and massively more complex, and even
more so when you leave the computer and include the user.

It is important to allways look at the complete situation in
applied crypto and IT security in general (which is one of the
main things that makes it so hard) or you end up with a house
that has a 30 centimeter steel door at the front and only
a fly-net at the backdoor.

Regards,
Arno
--