On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 09:15:32AM -0600, Shuah Khan wrote: > On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Kees Cook wrote: > > I agree with the sentiment here, but not with the language. Finding > > flaws (which is what selftests, KASan, Trinity, etc do) isn't > > hardening. Hardening is stopping the exploitation of flaws. The > > hardening the kernel needs is about taking away exploitation tools, > > not killing bugs. (Though killing bugs is still great.) > I agree with Kees on this. Kselftest or any other test suites can help > with regression testing and make sure Kernel works the way it should. > Also these tests can tell us if kernel is hardened or not. > Hardening means something different to me. i.e making sure kernel > can protect against attacks and fail gracefully. This is something to > address during design and development process. Testsuites can help here if we get into the habit of making sure they exercise error conditions; they're off to the side a bit but they can be a useful way of promoting good practice (at least in my experience).