On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 07:41:59PM -0700, Eric Blake wrote: > On 12/03/2015 04:54 PM, David Gibson wrote: > > On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 05:37:39PM +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote: > >> prop_get_fdt() misuses the visitor API: when fdt is null, it doesn't > >> visit anything. object_property_get_qobject() happily > >> object_property_get_qobject(). Amazingly, the latter survives the > >> misuse. Turns out we've papered over it long before prop_get_fdt() > >> existed, in commit 1d10b44. > >> > >> However, commit 6c2f9a1 changed how we paper over it, and as a side > >> effect changed qom-get's value from {} to null. Change it right back > >> by fixing the visitor misuse. > >> > >> Signed-off-by: Markus Armbruster > >> --- > >> hw/ppc/spapr_drc.c | 5 +++++ > >> 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+) > >> > > > I'm not entirely convinced by this. IIUC, this makes the output in > > the case of NULL (i.e. missing) fdt identical to the output in the > > case of an empty, valid fdt - in dtc syntax, this: > > / { > > }; > > > > Those are different cases from the point of view of the code which > > actually uses the fdt, and for purposes of debugging it, I suspect we > > want to expose that difference. > > Expressing null may be the right thing, but it should be a conscious > decision, and not a side-effect of an unrelated patch. This patch is > just about avoiding a regression for 2.5, because outputting {} for both > a missing fdt and an empty one was the behavior we had back in 2.4 (that > is, we've already returned {} in at least one release, so it won't hurt > to do it for one more). For 2.6 we can revisit things to actually > express what is wanted. > > > > > I don't know what the QOMishly correct way of doing that is, though. > > Can we somehow make the "fdt" property disappear entirely if fdt is > > NULL? > > In qapi terms, if a variable is marked optional and has_FOO is false, > then the variable disappears completely. But I'm not sure if that maps > over to qom. Maybe you do it by setting errp if drc->fdt is NULL, so > that prop_get_fdt() only succeeds when there is something for it to > return. Or maybe returning qnull() is right after all, but in that > case, explicitly calling 'QObject *n = qnull(); visit_type_any(v, &n, > NULL, &err) seems like a nicer way than relying on side effects of how > the qmp output visitor behaves when nothing was visited. Ok, thank makes sense. Acked-by: David Gibson -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson