On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 08:55:21PM -0700, Eric Blake wrote: > By sticking the next pointer first, we don't need a union with > 64-bit padding for smaller types. On 32-bit platforms, this > can reduce the size of uint8List from 16 bytes (or 12, depending > on whether 64-bit ints can tolerate 4-byte alignment) down to 8. > It has no effect on 64-bit platforms (where alignment still > dictates a 16-byte struct); but fewer anonymous unions is still > a win in my book. > > However, this requires visit_start_list() and visit_next_list() > to gain a size parameter, to know what size element to allocate. > > I debated about going one step further, to allow for fewer casts, > by doing: > typedef GenericList GenericList; > struct GenericList { > GenericList *next; > }; > struct FooList { > GenericList base; > Foo value; > }; > so that you convert to 'GenericList *' by '&foolist->base', and > back by 'container_of(generic, GenericList, base)' (as opposed to > the existing '(GenericList *)foolist' and '(FooList *)generic'). > But doing that would require hoisting the declaration of > GenericList prior to inclusion of qapi-types.h, rather than its > current spot in visitor.h; it also makes iteration a bit more > verbose through 'foolist->base.next' instead of 'foolist->next'. > > Signed-off-by: Eric Blake For the spapr change Acked-by: David Gibson -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson