On 22/01/2016, Erwan Velu wrote: > Hey, > > I've been able to continue this work and updated by branch accordingly. > I understand the benefit of using the ceph_time work but I feel that it makes the change pretty verbose for a not a so big change (CLOCK_REALTIME vs CLOCK_MONO). > > This imply a change of all utime_t and makes the computations a little bit more complex to read. There are a few changes one can use to make it less verbose. If you're not in a header file (or inside a function), you might like to do: using ceph::coarse_mono_clock; (Don't do that in headers outside of functions, though.) Then you can just do things like auto now = mono_clock_coarse::now(); Which should be a bit less verbose. Or even: using cm_clock = ceph::coarse_mono_clock; auto now = cm_clock::now(); > Does it worth the time spent on it ? If yes, I don't have any issue continuing this way. > I'm pretty new to the project and would like to make the best PR as possible. > So your insights on the under-work patch would be very helpful. I think so. We definitely wnat to use monotonic clocks where appropriate. And we can get a performance benefit from using coarse clocks where appropriate, too. And we want to switch to the ceph_time stuff anyway just because it rules out a whole class of bugs and integrates with standard and third-party libraries. -- Senior Software Engineer Red Hat Storage, Ann Arbor, MI, US IRC: Aemerson@{RedHat, OFTC, Freenode} 0x80F7544B90EDBFB9 E707 86BA 0C1B 62CC 152C 7C12 80F7 544B 90ED BFB9