From: Jeremy Allison <jra-eUNUBHrolfbYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org>
To: Ira Cooper <ira-mA6sH8tAw6XR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
Cc: Steven French <sfrench-eUNUBHrolfbYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org>,
	Stefan Metzmacher <metze-eUNUBHrolfbYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org>,
	linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org,
	Samba Technical
	<samba-technical-w/Ol4Ecudpl8XjKLYN78aQ@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Interop Issue: SMB2+ async replies, and the kernel, Samba side fix enclosed.
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:04:08 -0800	[thread overview]

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:41:34PM -0500, Ira Cooper wrote:
> You'll find it easy to reproduce if you:
>
> Set  aio read size = 1 in smb.conf.
>
> And modify line 101 in smb2_read.c or close by to be:
>
>     return smbd_smb2_request_pending_queue(req, subreq, 1);
>
> Writing a 1 GB file, umounting the share, and mounting the share again,
> then using dd to read it back with rsize and wsize set to 1MB, should do it.
>
> We can reproduce it as is with Gluster, I suspect that may be enough to do
> it with XFS or other filesystems.
>
> Does anyone know what the windows timeout for sending the interim reply
> is?  Barring this bug, sending it when we don't have to is wasteful.

Hmmm. We can only test this by causing a Windows read to
take a long time. Any idea how to test this ? Does Win32
have named pipes in the fs we could use for that ? If not
we could test using a program that creates a \\pipe\named_pipe
and then responds slowly... But I don't know if the
timeout replies on np's are the same as in the filesystem.