On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 08:01:31PM +0000, Hefty, Sean wrote: > > If I understand your proposal correctly, the proposed IOCTL framework will be > > able to handle all types of objects without any limitations in order and locking, > > everything is going to be processed by the driver, which will decide if > > such object/method is supported or not. > > For the core ioctl framework - yes. > > An ioctl can be dispatched to some other common handling, which can validate object ordering and type. Agree and IMHO it is where we should be focused. > > > What will stop the GPU with DRMs to use it? > > It would have to hook into the same file. But if it's generic enough, nothing would prevent other subsystems (e.g. Xeon Phi or NVM) from re-using the code. I don't see this as a negative. It is not negative, just out of the scope of RDMA subsystem. > > - Sean