* Easiest way to clone over an existing directory?
@ 2016-06-15 15:51 Josh Triplett
From: Josh Triplett @ 2016-06-15 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Currently, every time I set up a new system, I run the following:

git clone $MY_HOMEDIR
mv home/.git .
rm -r home
git checkout -f

This seems like an odd dance to go through.  But I can't just git clone
into ~ directly, because git clone will not clone into an existing
non-empty directory.

(I could use "git clone -n" to avoid the unnecessary checkout, but the
files are small, and it wouldn't remove the need to rmdir so the number
of commands would remain the same.)

Does some better way exist to handle this?  And if not, would it make
sense for git clone to have an option to clone into an existing
directory (which should also avoid setting junk_work_tree)?

* Re: Easiest way to clone over an existing directory?
@ 2016-06-16  2:44 ` brian m. carlson
From: brian m. carlson @ 2016-06-16  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Triplett; +Cc: git