On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 11:56:28AM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote: > On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote: > > One aspect that contributes to the size of the kernel module is that > > it can't be stripped in the same way a userspace binary can, because > > it has to be dynamically linked into the kernel. > > *ALTHOUGH* looking at the binary in the ipk closely, it looks like a > LOT of those symbols actually could be stripped, since they're not > exported and aren't external... Interesting. I found this script in LEDE: https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=blob;f=scripts/strip-kmod.sh;hb=HEAD But it's indeed possible that it's not run for kernel modules that are built outside of the core system. I will take a closer look. Can you check that, for instance, the kmod-udptunnel modules are properly stripped?