larsxschneider@gmail.com wrote: > (2) Joey's topic, which is the base for my patch, looks stalled for more than > 2 weeks: > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/297994/focus=298006 > I would be happy to address Junio's comments and post a reroll. However, > I don't want to interfere with Joey's plans. I've been on vacation and plan to get back to that in the upcoming week. > @Joey (in case you are reading this): > My patch changes your initial idea quite a bit. However, I believe it is an > improvement that could be beneficial for git-annex, too. Would you prefer to > work with me on the combination of our ideas (file clean/smudge + long running > clean/smudge processes) or would you prefer to keep your interface? Long running filters mean that you need a more complicated protocol to speak over the pipes. Seems that such a protocol could be designed to work with the original smudge/clean filters as well as with my smudgeToFile/cleanFromFile filters. Assuming that there's a way to tell whether the filters support being long-running or not. Note that the interface we arrived at for smudgeToFile/cleanFromFile is as similar as possible to smudge/clean, so the filter developer only has to change one thing. That's a big plus, and so I don't like diverging the two interfaces. So, I don't want to entangle these two ideas very much. -- see shy jo