From: Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <marcelo.leitner@gmail.com>
To: linux-sctp@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: packet->transport->asoc = NULL in sctp_packet_transmit
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:12:41 +0000	[thread overview]

Please don't top post..

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 02:49:56PM +0200, Fabian Bergmark wrote:
> Indeed the issue was solved by using virtual machines. The client no
> longer treats the HEARTBEATS as OOTB.

Ok good.

> My current setup is one VM (the server) which is bridged to my LAN. My
> router is setup to forward all UDP traffic on port 5000 to the VM.
> A second VM (the client) has two bridged interfaces (two tethering
> mobile phones). The client connects to the server via the external IP
> of the router.

Ok. Yet, why don't you do it with 2 VMs, each with 2 NICs on distinct
subnets?

> This works fine. However, I noticed that the client only seems to use
> one interface (probably the one with the lowest metric?). Looking
> trough the debug log
> of the client, it only mentions one IP (the one of the lower metric
> interface). I thought SCTP would use all client interfaces? Is there
> some configuration to achieve

Take a traffic capture and check INIT and INIT_ACK packets, they will
contain which addresses the peer is announced.

> this or doesn't SCTP support multi-homing in this setup?

But yeah, as you are doing it, it looks more like multi-path than
multi-homing and it protects only part of your connection, as there is
some part of the path that is common to both routes. As I'm
understanding, both interfaces on the guest have a default route that
can reach the same IP address of the server.

I couldn't get to a root cause on why but I didn't have much luck with
this setup either. If you manage to have 2 IPs for each peer, it should
work.