From: Darren Hart <dvhart@infradead.org>
To: Jason Cooper <jason@lakedaemon.net>
Cc: "ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org"
	<ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org>,
	Nicolas Pitre <nico@fluxnic.net>
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] Linux and Safety Industry reviews, was: Self nomination
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:11:27 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 01:46:02PM +0000, Jason Cooper wrote:
> Linus, Darren,
>
> I'm also tangentially interested in this discussion from a security point
> of view.  Failing in a deterministic way is a desirable trait in both
> the security and safety industries.
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:25:52AM +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 6:46 AM, Darren Hart <dvhart@infradead.org> wrote:
> >
> > >   - Developing a "safety culture" and any overlap that may have with security
> > My loose thoughts on the issue is twofold:
> >
> > - We will have an influx of professional safety reviewers that do not
> >   share their review comments with us, instead apply fixes locally and
> >   not upstream. This is potentially dangerous if the next reviewer for
> >   a safety-critical system misses the same bug.
>
> I thought the safety reviewers were an independent third party?  Wouldn't
> the company attempting to get the product certified be the one making
> the changes?
>
> Regardless, identifying these third party reviewers and asking them to
> 'Cc linux-safety@v.k.o' or similar on bugs they find may be a good place
> to start.  The trick is increasing our awareness of bugs with the least
> impact to their workflow.
>
> We would also need to anticipate that a significant number of those
> reports would be located in non-upstreamed vendor drivers/features.
>
> > - Can we record external inspection-only code reviews done by these
> >   independent code reviewers (post-minimization) into the kernel (etc) git?
> >   That I guess is pretty useful for building formal trust for the code,
> >   but I never heard of git annotations to some random code lines like
> >   that.
>
> How do they mark up $codebase currently?  It would be helpful to hear a
> walk through of their typical workflow.

A response from Nicholas McGuire (SIL2LinuxMP Safety Coordinator) responded
with:

"
We are feeding all findings back as much as we can - regarding the
cert data package its a lot on the process we run and the evidence
we gather - so most of that will not go into the kernel documentation
in any resonable form - but it could help to cleanup the DLC a bit
mostly small things like
"

He also said he would be willing to join us in Santa Fe for a TECH topic. I'll
write one up quickly to get it in today.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center