On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 09:34:43AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote: > On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 01:53:09PM +0100, James Hogan wrote: > > Hi Josh, > > > > On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 12:50:39AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote: > > > I'd welcome any feedback, whether on the interface and workflow, the > > > internals and collaboration, ideas on presenting diffs of patch series, > > > or anything else. > > > > I often have patch series which are dependent on one another. It is then > > very useful to be able to see all the branch names in logs (i.e. with > > --decorate or using tig). This isn't possible out of the box with > > git-series however since it seems to prefer to work on a detached head. > C> > > I sort of worked around this with a hacky script (see below) to update > > my branches (which start with e.g. "4.8/") to point to the corresponding > > git series latest commit. > > > > Do you think it'd be practical and make sense for git-series to learn to > > (optionally?) automatically remain on a particular branch (in my case > > with the same name as the series) and keep it updated with rebases etc? > > I realise the semantics of how it might work may be a little unclear at > > the moment since the SHEAD doesn't get updated until git series commit. > > That sounds entirely reasonable. I had git-series use a detached HEAD > to avoid the potentially surprising behavior of continuing to update the > branch you started the series from (or a branch you re-attached HEAD > to). However, intentionally specifying a branch to keep updated with > the current state of the series seems fine, and useful for exactly the > reason you mentioned. > > I'm tempted to introduce a default branch name for this, involving the > series name and "current", which would make the --decorate use case work > out-of-the-box. Naming suggestions welcome. > > Given such a default, would you still want to specify a specific branch > to keep updated, or would the default branch name suffice? Personally I'd want it to be able to match the name of the series as closely as possible (handy to be able to copy branch name and paste into "git series checkout" command). > > Either way, I don't think I'd store the branch name within the series > itself (as it represents entirely local metadata that shouldn't get > transmitted with the series). Easy enough to store local metadata > separately. > > Also, your mention of dependent patch series makes me tempted to try to > add some kind of dependency mechanism between series, to make it easier > to notice when you need to rebase a family of series, and to work out > what patches you need to submit together. (That would also allow using > the new format-patch metadata for "prerequisite-patch-id".) I don't > want to get as complex as topgit, but I'd welcome suggestions for how > this should work, since you have a workflow that motivates it. I haven't tried topgit tbh (I probably should). The metadata for my current workflow would be a set of other series that each series is dependent on (usually 1, but sometmes more if there are series for different subsystems, which need merging together before the base of the new series). If I update one of the earlier series, I'd normally just rebase all the others on top one by one (git rebase -p --onto HEAD ). It gets a bit repetative, but with tig alongside showing the graph with commit ids, and -p to preserve merges when necessary, and diffing to sanity check changes, its doable. git-series could make that easier as I could just "git series rebase otherbranch" without having to check the commit id for the base, asside from when it contains merges of course. So I suppose it'd be nice to be able to do something roughly like: $ git series create kvm/a/main v4.8-rc2 ... $ git series create mips/a/main v4.8-rc2 ... $ git series create kvm/b/main kvm/a/main (Implicitly depends on "kvm/a/main" branch / series) ... $ git series depend add mips/a/main (Adds [sequence of] distinct merges at the beginning of the series) ... $ git series create kvm/c/main kvm/b/main ... $ git series checkout mips/a/main ... hack a bit on that branch $ git series update It'd probably be necessary to analyse the graph of dependencies to figure out the order, and for each series regenerate the merges and rebase on top of them: checkout dependency 1 merge dependency 2 ... rebase --onto HEAD series it'd probably be convenient to be able to autocommit each rebased series too, which I suppose raises the question of conflicts, and how hard it'd be to have --abort-all, --abort, & --continue options. git series rebase -i should obviously go back to the last merge after the bases, since you can't meaningfully rebase -i merges. git series rebase onto... perhaps that should require a dependent branch or series that is being replaced (previously implicitly the current base), and I suppose require regenerating the merges too, to avoid storing more metadata. Sounds like it'd certainly need a fair bit of complexity to do that though, although if number of dependencies was limited to 1 it could be a lot simpler. Cheers James