On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 12:22:18PM +0200, Lluís Vilanova wrote: > Stefan Hajnoczi writes: > > > On Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 06:59:23PM +0200, Lluís Vilanova wrote: > >> The hypertrace channel allows guest code to emit events in QEMU (the host) using > >> its tracing infrastructure (see "docs/trace.txt"). This works in both 'system' > >> and 'user' modes. That is, hypertrace is to tracing, what hypercalls are to > >> system calls. > >> > >> You can use this to emit an event on both guest and QEMU (host) traces to easily > >> synchronize or correlate them. You could also modify you guest's tracing system > >> to emit all events through the hypertrace channel, providing a unified and fully > >> synchronized trace log. Another use case is timing the performance of guest code > >> when optimizing TCG (QEMU traces have a timestamp). > >> > >> See first commit for a full description. > >> > >> Signed-off-by: Lluís Vilanova > >> --- > > > CCing Steven Rostedt, Masami Hiramatsu, Luiz Capitulino, and LTTng folks > > who have all looked into host/guest tracing solutions. > [...] > > Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I'm certainly interested in collaborating. They are working on or have worked on different approaches to host/guest tracing. Unfortunately there isn't an out-of-the-box solution as far as I know. It would be nice if there was a documented host/guest tracing approach that didn't involve much manual setup and handled most use cases. Stefan