On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:39:32AM -0400, Josh Triplett wrote: > On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:25:38AM -0400, Karen Sandler wrote: > > On Wed, 2016-08-24 at 09:08 -0400, Greg KH wrote: > > > And "developers" are not being kept out of any "loop" here, please, lots > > > of us know exactly what is going on here. > > I'm of course not talking about internal company meetings, but rather > > invite-only backchannels where lawyers and executives are invited but > > developers are typically not. I know, Greg, that you and a few other > > developers do cross between these worlds, but most Linux developers I've > > spoken to do not. This session is an opportunity for those developers > > to hear about what's been going on in the last year. Definitely - there are discussions but they're hardly wide discussions, there's some people with good access to information but it's really not that widespread. > Personally, I've seen numerous examples of people not having heard any > of the background on these issues. I'd love to see this topic covered > far and wide. Not everyone gets to go to LLW or similar, or otherwise > has access to much of the information about such topics. Speaking for myself I have no idea what LLW is - I'm guessing it's *not* Low Level Waste (the UK organization for handling nuclear waste) which is what Google suggests! > Linux has pioneered many best-practices, such as the DCO. By both > interest and necessity, we have to deal with issues like these. Let's > talk about them, and start trying to find solutions for the next round > of issues. I agree, and there's also the fact that good practice is often helped by understanding so when we have the opportunity to share things in a wider but still not public environment that seems like a great use of Kernel Summit time.