From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@kernel.org>
To: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
Cc: Michal Marek <mmarek@suse.cz>,
	"ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org"
	<ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>,
	Jiri Olsa <jolsa@kernel.org>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] tools/Makefile: Fix Many Many problems and inconsistencies
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 11:57:48 -0300	[thread overview]

Em Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 10:15:02PM +0100, Ben Hutchings escreveu:
> [Slowly catching up on ksummit-discuss]
>
> On Mon, 2016-08-01 at 20:46 -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > and subdir Makefiles.
> >
> > Examples:
> >
> > Use/honor O=outputdir consistently instead of building in <kerneltree>/tools.
> > (check/compare kernel commit bf35182ffcd00d8b36d56210ffdac110e5624d7d)
> >
> > Honor MAKEFLAGS (well, they aren't even passed to tools/Makefile AFAICT.
> > from an execution log:
> > make LDFLAGS= MAKEFLAGS="" O=/local/lnx/kernel/lnx-47/TOOLS subdir=tools -C ../tools/ all
> >
> > Use make's "findstring" correctly (see patch below)
> >
> > There are lots of other problems unless I have just had too much too drink tonight,
> > so here's the TECH TOPIC:
> >
> > In a 1.5 hour code crunch session, get a bunch of interested people together to fix
> > a lot of problems quickly.  Then I will be a guinea pig tester.  :)
> [...]
>
> I don't know how much can be done in that time.  I've had some
> recurring pains in packaging tools/:
>
> 1. Many different build systems
>    - Inconsistent support for configuration variables (not just 'O')
>    - usbip isn't included in a recursive build, presumably because
>      it uses autotools

Right, that needs improving, I haven't looked at anything outside
tools/{arch,build,lib,include,objtool,perf}

> 2. Tools include UAPI headers in one of two ways, neither of which is
>    reliable:
>    - Assume the current headers are on the system include path
>    - Include unprocessed UAPI headers through a relative path
>
>    The right thing to do is to run 'make headers_install' and add
>    usr/ to the front of the system include path.  But we'd want a
>    way to avoid re-doing that when the UAPI headers haven't changed.

Again, haven't checked outside the above list of directories, by now,
tools/perf/ doesn't use anything outside tools/, are you talking about
other tools that touch kernel source files outside tools/?

> 3. Tools frequently fail to build in stable releases (sometimes on
>    specific architectures) - seems like tools/ is not covered by CI
>    or it's ignored

The list above I've been running over a set of docker image
repositories, now publicly available, each with a set of tags for distro
releases and cross build environments.

https://hub.docker.com/r/acmel/linux-perf-tools-build-alpine
https://hub.docker.com/r/acmel/linux-perf-tools-build-android-ndk
https://hub.docker.com/r/acmel/linux-perf-tools-build-archlinux