On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 07:14:50PM +0200, Greg KH wrote: > On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 05:27:14PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote: > > for the users I talk to but there was always a very awkward period where > > people were looking for an announcement but no information to base > > things on. > So, where should I do this "announcement" that will be seen by everyone? I don't think it's a problem with location at the minute since you're fairly quick at posting on your G+ and blog (though I didn't spot anything on the stable list, it's possible I just can't see it due to the volume there though), that was more about the old pre v4.4 days. > And remember, we are just trying out the "preanounce" thing this time, > let's see what happens, I'm not guaranteeing I will keep doing it... Sure, and I think the main thing I'm saying here is that this lack of predictability in your future plans is something the people I talk to mention and may be what Shibata-san was getting at also. Part of the problem when the announcement was done after the release was that there was a lot of trying to read the runes and guess what'll happen and when going on behind the scenes, if people would like to follow the LTS but also have product deadlines they can end up walking a tightrope with their schedule and trying to predict LTS. What you did with v4.4 (announcing during the -rc cycle) addresses this, as does what you've done this year pulling that even further forwards. If things don't work out with what you're doing with the preannouncement it might be good to comment on that that and say you intend to do something different next year, but hopefully everything will be fine of course.