On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 12:10:49PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote: > From an enterprise distro (and user) point of view, > it is important to be able to debug a kernel that > is running on a production system (and developed > some problem after a month of running), without > having to reboot into a special "debug kernel". > > Being able to just fire up a tracer debugging > script that can identify intermittent problems > is an invaluable tool in making the kernel better > for our users. > > Hamstringing our ability to make the kernel better, > in order to keep the debugging ABI stable, is > shooting ourselves (and our users) in the foot. This also applies very much to embedded systems development. The flight recorder aspect and the ability to turn on trace without requiring a custom build be distributed and flashed are massively helpful, I've seen people get really excited when they see tracepoints for the first time.