* vc04_services driver question
@ 2016-10-07  5:30 Elizabeth Ferdman
From: Elizabeth Ferdman @ 2016-10-07  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel; +Cc: amsfield22

I noticed a new driver vc04_services was just added and that the Kconfig
says it depends on BROKEN. The tutorial specifically says not to work on
drivers that have that in the depends on line. However, I also noticed
that patches were being accepted for rtl8712 and greybus and those
have BROKEN in the Kconfig as well... so is it ok to submit patches for
that one or even a patchset?

My other question is if we are doing simple cleanups and manage to run
make path/to/file.o and create a new .o file in the directory, is it ok not
to run $ make -j2 && sudo make modules_install, etc. ? Today I wasn't
able to run that successfully because of a bug that got through in the
latest update, something to do with x86 architecture, but I still wanted
to get some patches in...

Thanks,
Liz

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] vc04_services driver question
@ 2016-10-07  5:32 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-10-07  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elizabeth Ferdman; +Cc: outreachy-kernel, amsfield22

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:

> I noticed a new driver vc04_services was just added and that the Kconfig
> says it depends on BROKEN. The tutorial specifically says not to work on
> drivers that have that in the depends on line. However, I also noticed
> that patches were being accepted for rtl8712 and greybus and those
> have BROKEN in the Kconfig as well... so is it ok to submit patches for
> that one or even a patchset?

Yes.

> My other question is if we are doing simple cleanups and manage to run
> make path/to/file.o and create a new .o file in the directory, is it ok not
> to run $ make -j2 && sudo make modules_install, etc. ? Today I wasn't
> able to run that successfully because of a bug that got through in the
> latest update, something to do with x86 architecture, but I still wanted
> to get some patches in...

Yes, ok not to do it in general.  You have to evaluate whether your change
could impact other files.  You may want to compile the driver, but not the
whole kernel.

julia

@ 2016-10-07 12:56 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2016-10-07 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elizabeth Ferdman; +Cc: outreachy-kernel, amsfield22

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 10:30:34PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> I noticed a new driver vc04_services was just added and that the Kconfig
> says it depends on BROKEN. The tutorial specifically says not to work on
> drivers that have that in the depends on line. However, I also noticed
> that patches were being accepted for rtl8712 and greybus and those
> have BROKEN in the Kconfig as well... so is it ok to submit patches for
> that one or even a patchset?

Yes, but make sure your patches don't make the code worse.  You might be
able to build BROKEN code under some conditions.

And the vc04_services code will get that option removed real soon, I
have a patchset in my queue to fix up the obvious build issues.  Feel
free to get them out of the driverdevel mailing list archives and apply
them locally if you wish to start working on that code.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] vc04_services driver question
@ 2016-10-08  1:39   ` Elizabeth Ferdman
From: Elizabeth Ferdman @ 2016-10-08  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 02:56:08PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 10:30:34PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> > I noticed a new driver vc04_services was just added and that the Kconfig
> > says it depends on BROKEN. The tutorial specifically says not to work on
> > drivers that have that in the depends on line. However, I also noticed
> > that patches were being accepted for rtl8712 and greybus and those
> > have BROKEN in the Kconfig as well... so is it ok to submit patches for
> > that one or even a patchset?
>
> Yes, but make sure your patches don't make the code worse.  You might be
> able to build BROKEN code under some conditions.
>
> And the vc04_services code will get that option removed real soon, I
> have a patchset in my queue to fix up the obvious build issues.  Feel
> free to get them out of the driverdevel mailing list archives and apply
> them locally if you wish to start working on that code.

Hey Greg,
Thanks for the tip. I'd love to do that but how? They've already been
sent so I won't get them if I apply to the mailing-list now, right? I
read that you can just save it and use something like git am/git apply.
I am seeing some vc04 patches in the driverdevel archive.. On the bottom
there is a url with a .bin file... I'm not really sure if that's what I
want. Can you clue me in on how to do it?

thanks,
liz

@ 2016-10-08 18:29   ` Elizabeth Ferdman
From: Elizabeth Ferdman @ 2016-10-08 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 02:56:08PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 10:30:34PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> > I noticed a new driver vc04_services was just added and that the Kconfig
> > says it depends on BROKEN. The tutorial specifically says not to work on
> > drivers that have that in the depends on line. However, I also noticed
> > that patches were being accepted for rtl8712 and greybus and those
> > have BROKEN in the Kconfig as well... so is it ok to submit patches for
> > that one or even a patchset?
>
> Yes, but make sure your patches don't make the code worse.  You might be
> able to build BROKEN code under some conditions.
>
> And the vc04_services code will get that option removed real soon, I
> have a patchset in my queue to fix up the obvious build issues.  Feel
> free to get them out of the driverdevel mailing list archives and apply
> them locally if you wish to start working on that code.

Hey Greg,

I think I figured out how to do that but I think that you did it before
me. I downloaded them off patchwork.kernel.org and did

$ git am --patch-format=mbox path/to/file

I think it failed though since it had already been done.
Anyways, I ran make on the path/to/file.o but I can't get a .o file. Is
it because there's no Makefile in that dir? How do I compile it...?

@ 2016-10-09 14:42     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2016-10-09 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elizabeth Ferdman; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 06:39:23PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 02:56:08PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 10:30:34PM -0700, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> > > I noticed a new driver vc04_services was just added and that the Kconfig
> > > says it depends on BROKEN. The tutorial specifically says not to work on
> > > drivers that have that in the depends on line. However, I also noticed
> > > that patches were being accepted for rtl8712 and greybus and those
> > > have BROKEN in the Kconfig as well... so is it ok to submit patches for
> > > that one or even a patchset?
> >
> > Yes, but make sure your patches don't make the code worse.  You might be
> > able to build BROKEN code under some conditions.
> >
> > And the vc04_services code will get that option removed real soon, I
> > have a patchset in my queue to fix up the obvious build issues.  Feel
> > free to get them out of the driverdevel mailing list archives and apply
> > them locally if you wish to start working on that code.
>
> Hey Greg,
> Thanks for the tip. I'd love to do that but how? They've already been
> sent so I won't get them if I apply to the mailing-list now, right? I
> read that you can just save it and use something like git am/git apply.
> I am seeing some vc04 patches in the driverdevel archive.. On the bottom
> there is a url with a .bin file... I'm not really sure if that's what I
> want. Can you clue me in on how to do it?

I don't know what email archive you are looking at, all of them seem to
do it in different ways, so I can't answer for sure.  I get the emails
directly from the list itself, by being subscribed to it.

thanks,

greg k-h