From: "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <dgilbert@redhat.com>
To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@redhat.com>
Cc: Samuel Ortiz <sameo@linux.intel.com>, qemu-devel@nongnu.org
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Multiple QMP socket clients
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 16:12:02 +0100	[thread overview]

* Daniel P. Berrange (berrange@redhat.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 03:17:04PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > > But why does it accept the connection?
> > > I thought you could say only accept a single connection on a socket.
> > > (The backlog parameter to listen(2) but I can't find out listen.)
> >
> > QEMU won't accept the connection, as while it is still listen()ing on
> > the socket, it is not poll()ing for incoming clients, so will never
> > trigger accept(). The kernel will queue the incoming connection until
> > QEMU starts polling for clients again. From the client POV this is
> > indistinguishable from QEMU accepting the client, but not processing
> > I/O on it.
>
> Oh, and the backlog parameter to listen() is fairly useless - it won't
> stop new clients getting into an established socket state
>
>    https://veithen.github.io/2014/01/01/how-tcp-backlog-works-in-linux.html

Oh, that's annoying; ok, if that's all we can do that's fine; and I did check with
an strace and we do have a :

[pid 22661] listen(9, 1)                = 0

and I do only see a single call to accept4() even though the 2nd telnet
apparently shows it connected.

> QEMU could just accept() all incoming connections and explicitly close
> them if something is already connected, but this just burns CPU really.

It might make failures more obvious than a non-responsive socket.

Dave