On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 12:00:03PM +0300, Mika Westerberg wrote: > The _DEP method should be used for Operation Region dependencies but > here it is used for functional dependencies so that the audio machine > driver can find the corresponding codec. Why Microsoft used it like this > and not pushed it to ASWG to be added to the ACPI spec? Should we now > refuse to support it in Linux on the basis that it has not been > discussed with ASWG and it abuses _DEP? The fact that the ACPI community hasn't been doing a good job of working together is essentially the issue that people are pushing back on here. We appear to not even be trying to set a better standard for how to do things here. Sitting externally to the group at Intel doing this it really looks like there's been a decision to mirror DT into ACPI en masse. If we really want to do that we should actually take that decision, preferrably with at least buy in from other ACPI users on Linux and with some review of existing ACPI standardization efforts to make sure we're not duplicating work there. Ideally we'd also be pushing anything we do towards ASWG even if just as a fiat accomplait. > > By copying DT, but changing a few things, we're in effect creating a new > > ill-defined Linux-specific standard. If we're going to create a new standard, > > we should go through the ASWG, and make an actual standard. If we're not going > > to create a new standard, we should use DT directly, rather than trying to > > force DT into ACPI. > These boards we are talking about ship with ACPI based firmware. We > should not expect users of those boards to be cabable of replacing the > existing firmware with DT one. Since we're still at the point of defining bindings hopefully we're not shipping yet...