On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 05:36:58PM +0100, Ladislav Michl wrote: > On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 03:22:09PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote: > > How do we know that it's not a kernel misconfiguration? It's common for > > people to not build some of the component drivers they need. > Is what you described really a misconfiguration? Enabling debug when > something does not work seems obvious thing to do, but okay, perhaps > anything bellow error level would make me happy enough. Yes, it's something that's really common when people configure their own kernels. > > > > If you don't like deferred probing please contribute to the efforts > > > > to order probing. > As a side note, which efforts are you reffering to here? Things like Raphael's device dependencies work. > > > I just tried to make it consistend to other subsystems where patches to > > > silence deferred probing warnings are accepted... > > Which subsystems are these? We should look at fixing them... > tty and usb for example. I do not consider wise to looking at them until > this very subsystem gets fixed first to not distract ourselves ;-) > (Also I have admit, that accepted patches hide error message on deferred > probe only, but above occurs _also_ on deferred probe and yes, it would be > nice to have that fixed) This really does make it harder to figure out what's going on when the dependency is actually missing - it transforms things into a silent failure.