On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 12:26:34PM -0500, John Snow wrote: > > > On 11/22/2016 11:16 AM, Eric Blake wrote: > > On 11/22/2016 10:07 AM, John Snow wrote: > > > > > > > > > On 11/22/2016 07:01 AM, Nikolay Shirokovskiy wrote: > > > > Hi, everyone. > > > > > > > > There is a problem with current incremental backups. Imagine I ask > > > > qemu to > > > > make an incremental backup then go away and return back when backup > > > > job is finished. Qemu process dismisses the job completely and I missed > > > > all the events so I don't know the result of the operation and what is > > > > most important I don't know the base for dirty bitmap now. In case of > > > > failure > > > > it is previous backup and in case of success it is the last backup. > > > > Qemu does > > > > not track dirty bitmap base for me so I have no choice other then clear > > > > dirty bitmap and make full backup which would be rather unexpected > > > > from user > > > > POV (The situation of going away/coming back is libvirt crash/restart > > > > of course.) > > > > > > > > > > Why was the completion/failure event missed? Is there some reason why > > > you cannot guarantee that you will observe the completion? > > > > I think the intent of some of the on-error parameters is to make it so > > that the job can't go away on error, only on success. Admittedly, > > libvirt isn't using those policies as well as it could. > > > > > > > > > I guess problem has wider scope. In case I miss successfull > > > > completion of full > > > > backup my only option is to drop backup file and redo the backup > > > > completely > > > > which is rather wasteful. AFAIU I can not query backup completion > > > > result from > > > > backup file itself. I guess there can be similar issues for other qemu > > > > jobs. > > > > > > > > Nikolay > > > > > > > > > > I would personally advocate for a job-neutral solution where jobs can be > > > given a parameter such that the job persists in memory in a new > > > "completed" state until such time that it is queried explicitly, then it > > > can be dropped. > > > > > > I am not sure if we can make this the default behavior, as it might > > > confuse libvirt to occasionally see jobs that have already completed. > > > > > > Talking to Kevin off-list, he suggested that we might be able to make > > > this the default behavior if we pivot to the new jobs API that I have > > > been proposing, accompanied by a new explicit command to put a command > > > to rest. > > > > Yeah, revisiting the overall job API will require some overhaul in > > libvirt as well, but it is probably worth it. > > > > I wonder if I should try to rectify this temporarily for 2.9, or just jump > straight into a new interface. I suggest drafting the "proper" API fix. If it turns out to be a major undertaking then maybe a sub-problem can be solved more easily instead. But attacking the full problem first seems like a good approach - the QEMU 2.9 development cycle hasn't even opened yet :). Stefan