From: Aaron Schrab <aaron@schrab.com>
To: Larry Minton <larry.minton@autodesk.com>
Cc: "git@vger.kernel.org" <git@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Is there a way to have local changes in a branch 'bake' while working in different branches?
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 17:44:08 -0500	[thread overview]

At 20:14 +0000 15 Dec 2016, Larry Minton <larry.minton@autodesk.com> wrote:
>Let's say I have a code change that I want to 'bake' for a while
>locally, just to make sure some edge case doesn't pop up while I am
>working on other things.  Is there any practical way of doing that?
>I could constantly merge that 'bake me' branch into other branches as I
>work on them and then remove those changes from the branches before
>sending them out for code review, but sooner or later pretty much
>guaranteed to screw that up....

That sounds like the best way to me. How do you envision screwing it up?

If you anticipate messing up while removing the changes, that's only
likely if there are conflicts and any other strategy is likely to be
worse there.

If you suspect you'll forget to remove them before sending for code
review there may be ways to help with that. Easiest you can add a large
notice in the commit message(s) and/or comments; this may not prevent
going for review but reviewers should catch it pretty quickly. To help
prevent it even getting that far you may be able to add a pre-push hook
to prevent such commits from being pushed to somewhere other than a
private fork or a branch with a name that clearly indicates that it
contains experimental code.