* linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2017-01-03  4:37 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-01-03  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Nehal Shah

Hi Linus,

After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
allmodconfig) produced this warning:

drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-amd.c: In function 'amd_gpio_dbg_show':
drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-amd.c:210:3: warning: 'pin_num' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
   for (; i < pin_num; i++) {
   ^
drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-amd.c:172:21: warning: 'i' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
  unsigned int bank, i, pin_num;
                     ^

Introduced by commit

  3bfd44306c65 ("pinctrl: amd: Add support for additional GPIO")

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2022-06-05 23:33         ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-06-05 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Linus Walleij, Jonathan Corbet,
	Joey Gouly, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

Hi all,

@ 2022-04-21 18:05   ` Stefan Wahren
From: Stefan Wahren @ 2022-04-21 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij, Stephen Rothwell

Am 21.04.22 um 16:12 schrieb Linus Walleij:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 9:11 AM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>
>> After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
>> produced this warning:
>>
>> include/linux/gpio/driver.h:507: warning: Incorrect use of kernel-doc format:          * @of_gpio_ranges_fallback
>> include/linux/gpio/driver.h:518: warning: Function parameter or member 'of_gpio_ranges_fallback' not described in 'gpio_chip'
>>
>> Introduced by commit
>>
>>    a9491df0c4ae ("gpiolib: of: Introduce hook for missing gpio-ranges")
> Thanks, I just folded in a quick fix into the offending commit, a
> single missing colon.
Thanks

@ 2022-04-21 14:12 ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2022-04-21 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

@ 2022-04-21  7:11 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-04-21  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij

Hi all,

@ 2022-03-18  7:31       ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-03-18  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Linus Walleij, Jonathan Corbet,

@ 2022-01-20  3:25     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-01-20  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Linus Walleij, Jonathan Corbet,

@ 2021-10-28  7:03   ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2021-10-28  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linus Walleij, Jonathan Corbet, Joey Gouly,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

Em Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:10:45 +0100
Marc Zyngier <maz@kernel.org> escreveu:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:01:18 +0100,
> Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
> > produced this warning:
> >
> > include/linux/gpio/driver.h:284: warning: Function parameter or member 'parent_handler_data_array' not described in 'gpio_irq_chip'
> >
> > Introduced by commit
> >
> >   cfe6807d82e9 ("gpio: Allow per-parent interrupt data")
> >
> > But may actually be a problem with the tool :-(
>
> I guess the tool doesn't like having two fields that are part of a
> union documented together... Happy to tweak it if someone tells me how
> this should be written.

Yes, that's the case. See, when you do:

	/**
	 * @parent_handler_data:
	 * @parent_handler_data_array:
	 *
	 * Data associated, and passed to, the handler for the parent
	 * interrupt. Can either be a single pointer if @per_parent_data
	 * is false, or an array of @num_parents pointers otherwise.  If
	 * @per_parent_data is true, @parent_handler_data_array cannot be
	 * NULL.
	 */
	union {
		void *parent_handler_data;
		void **parent_handler_data_array;
	};

The tool will understand it as an undocumented "parent_handler_data" and
a documented "parent_handler_data_array".

It has to do that, as otherwise it won't get cases where people just adds a
@foo: as a template but actually forgets to fill it.

The solution would be to add a description for both, e. g. something
similar to:

	/**
	 * @parent_handler_data:
	 *
	 * If @per_parent_data is false, contains a single pointer
	 * with the data associated, and passed to, the handler for the
	 * parent interrupt.
	 *
	 * @parent_handler_data_array:
	 *
	 * If @per_parent_data is true, it should contain an array of
	 * @num_parents pointers with the data associated, and passed to,
	 * the handler for the parent interrupt. Cannot be NULL.
	 */

Regards,
Mauro

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2021-10-27 11:10 ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2021-10-27 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Jonathan Corbet,
	Joey Gouly, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:01:18 +0100,
Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
> produced this warning:
>
> include/linux/gpio/driver.h:284: warning: Function parameter or member 'parent_handler_data_array' not described in 'gpio_irq_chip'
>
> Introduced by commit
>
>   cfe6807d82e9 ("gpio: Allow per-parent interrupt data")
>
> But may actually be a problem with the tool :-(

I guess the tool doesn't like having two fields that are part of a
union documented together... Happy to tweak it if someone tells me how
this should be written.

	M.

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2021-10-27 11:01 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-10-27 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Jonathan Corbet, Joey Gouly, Marc Zyngier,

@ 2021-03-30  7:51 ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2021-03-30  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Jonas Gorski, Álvaro Fernández Rojas,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:07 AM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig) produced this warning:
>
> drivers/pinctrl/bcm/pinctrl-bcm6362.c: In function 'bcm6362_set_gpio':
> drivers/pinctrl/bcm/pinctrl-bcm6362.c:503:8: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]
>   503 |        (uint32_t) desc->drv_data, 0);
>       |        ^
>
> Introduced by commit
>
>   705791e23ecd ("pinctrl: add a pincontrol driver for BCM6362")

Ha! The 0day robot didn't see it. Good that we have so many layers.

I bet Álvaro will have a patch to fix it in no time.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2021-03-30  6:07 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-03-30  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
  Cc: Jonas Gorski, Álvaro Fernández Rojas,

@ 2020-04-17 10:23 ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2020-04-17 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 4:28 AM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig) produced this warning:
>
> WARNING: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-mcp23s08.o
> see include/linux/module.h for more information
>
> Introduced by commit
>
>   0f04a81784fe ("pinctrl: mcp23s08: Split to three parts: core, I²C, SPI")

Thanks I got a patch to fix it up and applied.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2020-04-17  2:27 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2020-04-17  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij

Hi all,

@ 2018-10-11  7:51 ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2018-10-11  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 5:17 AM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig) produced this warning:
>
> drivers/pinctrl/bcm/pinctrl-ns.c: In function 'ns_pinctrl_probe':
> drivers/pinctrl/bcm/pinctrl-ns.c:288:29: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]
>   ns_pinctrl->chipset_flag = (unsigned int)of_id->data;
>                              ^
> drivers/pinctrl/bcm/pinctrl-ns.c:310:27: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]
>    unsigned int chipsets = (unsigned int)src->drv_data;
>                            ^

I tried to fix it, stumbled, not I tried to fix it again.
Let's see if I got it right now!

Thanks,
Linus Walleij

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2018-10-11  3:17 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2018-10-11  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
	Rafał Miłecki

Hi Linus,

After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
allmodconfig) produced this warning:

drivers/pinctrl/bcm/pinctrl-ns.c: In function 'ns_pinctrl_probe':
drivers/pinctrl/bcm/pinctrl-ns.c:288:29: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]
  ns_pinctrl->chipset_flag = (unsigned int)of_id->data;
                             ^
drivers/pinctrl/bcm/pinctrl-ns.c:310:27: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]
   unsigned int chipsets = (unsigned int)src->drv_data;
                           ^

Introduced by commit

  c12fb1774dea ("pinctrl: bcm: add Northstar driver")

--

@ 2017-06-30 13:48   ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2017-06-30 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven
<geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 6:56 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>> After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
>> allmodconfig) produced this warning:
>>
>> drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-rza1.c: In function 'rza1_pinctrl_probe':
>> drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-rza1.c:1260:5: warning: 'ret' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
>>   if (ret)
>>      ^
>>
>> Introduced by commit
>>
>>   5a49b644b307 ("pinctrl: Renesas RZ/A1 pin and gpio controller")
>
> Doh, 0day doesn't use compilers that report uninitialized variables?

The real problem is that 0day is not working right now.

I only get timeouts from it for the moment.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2017-06-30  6:59 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2017-06-30  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

Hi Stephen,

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 6:56 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig) produced this warning:
>
> drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-rza1.c: In function 'rza1_pinctrl_probe':
> drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-rza1.c:1260:5: warning: 'ret' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
>   if (ret)
>      ^
>
> Introduced by commit
>
>   5a49b644b307 ("pinctrl: Renesas RZ/A1 pin and gpio controller")

Doh, 0day doesn't use compilers that report uninitialized variables?
Patch sent.

Thanks for reporting!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2017-06-30  4:57 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-06-30  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
	Geert Uytterhoeven

Hi all,

[Just adding cc's]

@ 2017-06-30  4:56 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-06-30  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-05-20  7:14 ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2015-05-20  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Hongzhou Yang

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi Linus,
>
> After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
> produced this warning:
>
> warning: (PINCTRL_MT6397) selects PINCTRL_MTK_COMMON which has unmet direct dependencies (PINCTRL && (ARCH_MEDIATEK || COMPILE_TEST) && OF)
>
> Introduced by commit fc59e66c4284 ("pinctrl: mediatek: Add Pinctrl/GPIO
> driver for mt6397").

Ah too bad I didn't see it before pushing, fixed it now, thanks!

Yours,
Linus Walleij

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2015-05-20  6:40 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2015-05-20  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Hongzhou Yang

@ 2014-05-19  9:03 ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2014-05-19  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: Linus Walleij, linux-next, linux-kernel

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 04:59:47PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig among others) produced this warning:
>
> drivers/pinctrl/sunxi/Kconfig:3:error: recursive dependency detected!
> drivers/pinctrl/sunxi/Kconfig:3:	symbol PINCTRL_SUNXI is selected by PINCTRL_SUN4I_A10
> drivers/pinctrl/sunxi/Kconfig:9:	symbol PINCTRL_SUN4I_A10 default value contains PINCTRL_SUNXI
>
> Introduced by commit 3b582f7e1542 ("pinctrl: sunxi: Enable the pinctrl
> Kconfig options by default").

This should be fixed with the patch I sent on saturday:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2014-May/257411.html

Thanks,
Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2014-05-19  6:59 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2014-05-19  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Maxime Ripard

Hi Linus,

After merging the pinctrl tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
allmodconfig among others) produced this warning:

drivers/pinctrl/sunxi/Kconfig:3:error: recursive dependency detected!
drivers/pinctrl/sunxi/Kconfig:3:	symbol PINCTRL_SUNXI is selected by PINCTRL_SUN4I_A10
drivers/pinctrl/sunxi/Kconfig:9:	symbol PINCTRL_SUN4I_A10 default value contains PINCTRL_SUNXI

Introduced by commit 3b582f7e1542 ("pinctrl: sunxi: Enable the pinctrl
Kconfig options by default").

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* linux-next: build warning after merge of the pinctrl tree
@ 2013-12-13  4:06 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2013-12-13  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Alexandre Belloni