On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 09:36:51AM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote: > some of you may know that we are using a shared memory device similar to > ivshmem in the partitioning hypervisor Jailhouse [1]. > > We started as being compatible to the original ivshmem that QEMU > implements, but we quickly deviated in some details, and in the recent > months even more. Some of the deviations are related to making the > implementation simpler. The new ivshmem takes <500 LoC - Jailhouse is > aiming at safety critical systems and, therefore, a small code base. > Other changes address deficits in the original design, like missing > life-cycle management. My first thought is "what about virtio?". Can you share some background on why ivshmem fits the use case better than virtio? The reason I ask is because the ivshmem devices you define would have parallels to existing virtio devices and this could lead to duplication. Stefan