From: "Roger Pau Monné" <roger.pau@citrix.com>
To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@suse.com>
Cc: Stefano Stabellini <sstabellini@kernel.org>,
	Graeme Gregory <graeme.gregory@linaro.org>,
	Al Stone <al.stone@linaro.org>,
	Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>,
	Anshul Makkar <anshul.makkar@citrix.com>,
	JulienGrall <julien.grall@arm.com>,
	Paul Durrant <paul.durrant@citrix.com>,
	xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org,
	BorisOstrovsky <boris.ostrovsky@oracle.com>
Subject: Re: [DRAFT C] PVH CPU hotplug design document
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 17:12:17 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 09:55:19AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:

> >> I continue to think that this is insufficient, without seeing a nice
> >> clean way to solve the issue properly.
> >
> > But in this document the namespace path for processor objects will be
> > _SB.XEN0.VPXX, which should prevent any namespace clashes. Maybe I should have
> > updated the wording here, every Xen-related ACPI bit will be inside the
> > _SB.XEN0 namespace.
>
> Well, if we want to introduce our own parent name space, why the
> special naming convention then? Any name not colliding with other
> things in _SB.XEN0 should do then, so the only remaining risk would
> then be that the firmware also has _SB.XEN0.

Right, that's why I say that I should have reworded this. We can then use PXXX,
CXXX or whatever we want.

Yes, the only remaining risk is some vendor using _SB.XEN0, and AFAICT there's
no way to reserve anything in there (mostly because it's assumed that ACPI
tables will be created by a single entity I guess).

I think that the chance of this happening is 0%, and that there's no single
system out there with a _SB.XEN0 node. I've been wondering whether I should try
to post this to the ACPI working group, and try to get some feedback there.

Roger.