On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 06:23:20PM +0000, Mark Rutland wrote: > On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 08:56:42AM -0800, Furquan Shaikh wrote: > > That is the reason why the recent change to add ACPI support to fixed > > regulators was done > > (https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/regulator/fixed.c#L100). > To be honest, I'm surprised this got merged. My understanding was that it was instantiated from another device as an implementation detail of that device, letting it say "this GPIO should be handled as a regulator". > Mark, this was added in this cycle; can we please rip that out for now? If it's instantiated directly we probably should. > We can certainly come up with something that allows drivers to support > both, but trying to do this without updating drivers opens a huge set of > problems. I think there's a reasonable chance that any ACPI specs could be written in such a way as to allow transparent support in Linux, the main thing I'd worry about is naming issues.