On Fri 2017-01-27 09:20:39, Guenter Roeck wrote: > On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 10:40:33PM +0800, Zhang Rui wrote: > > > > > > > > If thermal zone I/F is used, we can not change it's 'type' name to > > > > be > > > > compatible with new hwmon API. > > > > > > > You mean you can not fix the name to be compatible with libsensors. > > > > > > > We can try to convert it to a libsensor-compatible string, either for > > hwmon only, or for both thermal and hwmon. But this is an ABI change, > > right? > > Let's go back to the basics. > > Fact is that the thermal subsystem registers hwmon devices with 'name' > attributes which violate the documented hardware monitoring ABI. > I think we can consider this undisputed. > > The rest is pretty much all opinion. > > Is a change in a driver to stop violating a documented ABI an ABI change > or a bug fix ? In other words, does a driver violating a documented ABI > make that ABI violation part of the ABI ? It can be both. But "no regressions" takes precedence over "documentation". > Quite interesting questions. My take is that it is a bug fix, others > apparently have the strong opinion that potential users of such an ABI > violation have priority, and that a violation of a documented ABI _does_ > make this violation part of the ABI. "Potential" users you can work around. "Real" users are problem. And yes, I have strong opinion about release candidates. Outside that, see my next mail. Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html