* Build Linux kernel to have comparable zImages
@ 2017-02-08  9:20 Lukasz Majewski
From: Lukasz Majewski @ 2017-02-08  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dear All,

Maybe somebody can point me to solution to the following problem:

Problem:

I do want to be able to compare (with e.g. md5sum, sha1) two linux
zImages. The problem is that Linux compiles in current build time into
the binary. Hence, even two identical builds will have different hash.

Why:

I do want to do some considerable Kconfig rework and avoid situation
where some option would be left not enabled.

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de

* Re: Build Linux kernel to have comparable zImages
@ 2017-02-09  0:25 ` Andrew Donnellan
From: Andrew Donnellan @ 2017-02-09  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukasz Majewski, linux-kernel

On 08/02/17 20:20, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Maybe somebody can point me to solution to the following problem:
>
> Problem:
>
> I do want to be able to compare (with e.g. md5sum, sha1) two linux
> zImages. The problem is that Linux compiles in current build time into
> the binary. Hence, even two identical builds will have different hash.
>
> Why:
>
> I do want to do some considerable Kconfig rework and avoid situation
> where some option would be left not enabled.

You might want to look at
https://github.com/hardenedlinux/grsecurity-reproducible-build, I'm not
familiar with it at all but it seems to be somewhat in the direction
you're after.

--
Andrew Donnellan              OzLabs, ADL Canberra
andrew.donnellan@au1.ibm.com  IBM Australia Limited

* Re: Build Linux kernel to have comparable zImages
@ 2017-02-09  8:46   ` Lukasz Majewski
From: Lukasz Majewski @ 2017-02-09  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Donnellan; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 11:25:15 +1100
Andrew Donnellan <andrew.donnellan@au1.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 08/02/17 20:20, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Maybe somebody can point me to solution to the following problem:
> >
> > Problem:
> >
> > I do want to be able to compare (with e.g. md5sum, sha1) two linux
> > zImages. The problem is that Linux compiles in current build time
> > into the binary. Hence, even two identical builds will have
> > different hash.
> >
> > Why:
> >
> > I do want to do some considerable Kconfig rework and avoid situation
> > where some option would be left not enabled.
>
> You might want to look at
> https://github.com/hardenedlinux/grsecurity-reproducible-build, I'm
> not familiar with it at all but it seems to be somewhat in the
> direction you're after.

Thanks for pointing this out :-).