On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 09:28:24AM +0100, Ulf Hansson wrote: > On 15 February 2017 at 19:05, Wolfram Sang > wrote: > > The current code assumes that DMA is finished before SD access end is > > flagged. Thus, it schedules the 'dma_complete' tasklet in the SD card > > interrupt routine when DATAEND is set. The assumption is not safe, > > though. Even by mounting an SD card, it can be seen that sometimes DMA > > complete is first, sometimes DATAEND. It seems they are usually close > > enough timewise to not cause problems. However, a customer reported that > > with CMD53 sometimes things really break apart. As a result, the BSP has > > a patch which introduces flags for both events and makes sure both flags > > are set before scheduling the tasklet. The customer accepted the patch, > > yet it doesn't seem a proper upstream solution to me. > > > > This patch refactors the code to replace the tasklet with already > > existing and more lightweight mechanisms. First of all, we set the > > callback in a DMA descriptor to automatically get notified when DMA is > > done. In the callback, we then use a completion to make sure the SD > > access has already ended. Then, we proceed as before. > > I have similar experience and a HW behaviour. Your reasoning seems > correct to me. Great. Thanks for the review! > > So, calling for early review here. And opinions how to proceed. I am not sure > > we want this in renesas-drivers until the SDIO functionality has been verified? > > Because it is the reason this patch exists in the first place :) > > If there are no regressions, we could consider this as a nice > clean-up, instead of waiting for the dependencies to be resolved. Fine with me. I feel much more comfortable with your experience backing up ours. > > Did you run some performance test? The throughput numbers of 'dd' are exactly the same. But maybe I could run one or two more tests with specifically testing that. > > index 2b349d48fb9a8a..891d400d2a7cf2 100644 > > --- a/drivers/mmc/host/tmio_mmc.h > > +++ b/drivers/mmc/host/tmio_mmc.h > > @@ -137,7 +137,7 @@ struct tmio_mmc_host { > > bool force_pio; > > struct dma_chan *chan_rx; > > struct dma_chan *chan_tx; > > - struct tasklet_struct dma_complete; > > + struct completion dma_dataend; > > struct tasklet_struct dma_issue; > > The next step would be to convert the driver to a use threaded IRQ > handler in favour of the dma_issue tasklet. That should also work, > right!? :-) I'll check. I also identified this tasklet as the next target but I haven't actually looked into it yet. Thanks for looking into it right away, Wolfram