On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 10:01:09 -0600 Eric Blake wrote: > On 02/22/2017 07:41 AM, Greg Kurz wrote: > > Eric, > > > > I fully understand your concern about the missing QMP bits, but given the other > > comments people made on this series, I'd like to move forward and merge it for > > 2.9, without the 'x-' prefixed options. Is it okay with you ? > > Yes, I think we'll be okay. Libvirt will just be unable to recognize the > feature until the QMP bits are in place. > Ok. I'll work this out with Pradeep for 2.10. > > >>>> If it cannot be probed via QMP, then libvirt will most likely assume > >>>> that it does not exist. I guess we're okay having command line only in > >>>> 2.9 if you can't get QMP working, because libvirt will just never drive > >>>> the feature until 2.10 when QMP is available; but then we risk the > >>>> command line subtly changing and breaking someone else that was using > >>>> the command line without QMP. Maybe the safest approach is to just use > >>>> the 'x-' prefix to the command line portion, until the feature is complete. > >>>> > >>> > >>> The semantics here are exactly the same as for block devices. The > >>> command line options added to -fsdev are the very same already used > >>> by -drive for years. > >>> > >>> Patch 2/2 in this series even factors them out to a common header file > >>> to be used by fsdev and blockdev. I really don't expect any modification > >>> at all on the command line (nor the other people who reviewed that patch > >>> obviously)... are you suggesting that we should put 2/2 on hold and > >>> use the 'x-' prefix anyway ? > >> > >> I see these parameter names as stable. There is little risk that they > >> would change. > > We just need to be sure that when we do add QMP, that it doesn't use > names that differ from the command line (blockdev is an example where we > weren't careful in 2.8, and had to rename things in 2.9 to be > consistent, and I want to avoid repeating that mistake). > Can you provide some pointers on what had to be fixed in blockdev ? Thanks. -- Greg