* KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-12 20:45 ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2017-03-12 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.

So far the agenda is:

- Direction of QEMU and toolstack in light of Google Cloud blog:
  https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/01/7-ways-we-harden-our-KVM-hypervisor-at-Google-Cloud-security-in-plaintext.html

After discussions on the QEMU Summit, we are going to have always open a
KVM call where you can add topics.

 Call details:

By popular demand, a google calendar public entry with it

  https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dG9iMXRqcXAzN3Y4ZXZwNzRoMHE4a3BqcXNAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ

(Let me know if you have any problems with the calendar entry.  I just
gave up about getting right at the same time CEST, CET, EDT and DST).

If you need phone number details,  contact me privately

Thanks, Juan.

* [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-12 20:45 ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2017-03-12 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.

So far the agenda is:

- Direction of QEMU and toolstack in light of Google Cloud blog:
  https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/01/7-ways-we-harden-our-KVM-hypervisor-at-Google-Cloud-security-in-plaintext.html

After discussions on the QEMU Summit, we are going to have always open a
KVM call where you can add topics.

 Call details:

By popular demand, a google calendar public entry with it

  https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dG9iMXRqcXAzN3Y4ZXZwNzRoMHE4a3BqcXNAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ

(Let me know if you have any problems with the calendar entry.  I just
gave up about getting right at the same time CEST, CET, EDT and DST).

If you need phone number details,  contact me privately

Thanks, Juan.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
  (?)
@ 2017-03-13 10:02 ` Peter Maydell
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-13 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 March 2017 at 21:45, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.
>
> So far the agenda is:
>
> - Direction of QEMU and toolstack in light of Google Cloud blog:
>   https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/01/7-ways-we-harden-our-KVM-hypervisor-at-Google-Cloud-security-in-plaintext.html

Ah, I'd forgotten that this was on the call agenda. I actually
had an interesting conversation with Alex Graf last week about
some similar topics, which I guess you could generally summarize
as "what are the issues we need to address as a project in order
to not become irrelevant in five years time". Since I wrote them
up for an internal "what I did on my holi^Wconference trip" report
I might as well repost them here:

  - on the "VM support" side, QEMU is more used because it's the only
    production-quality option in this space, rather than because its
    users love it. (cf the Google choice to replace it.) It's also got
    a pretty poor security record. It wouldn't be too surprising if
    some time in the next five years somebody writes a replacement in
    a safer language (perhaps also targeting only the VM support role)
    and it got enough mindshare and takeup to eclipse QEMU.
    [Is it too early/daft to think about prototyping being able to
     write QEMU device emulation in Rust ?]
    If the "VM support" usecase moves to another project then QEMU
    will become a very quiet backwater...
  - on the "emulation" side, nobody is clearly articulating a purpose
    for QEMU, a reason why you should use it rather than other modelling
    technologies (or rather than using real hardware). As a result the
    efforts applied to QEMU are somewhat unfocused. Are we trying to be:
    . a dev platform before easy h/w availability?
      [not easy for QEMU for several reasons]
    . a dev tool that provides better introspection into guest
      behaviour than running on h/w?
      [if so we should put more work into improving our introspection
       and guest tracing capabilities!]
    . primarily a tool for doing automated CI testing and one-off
      developer smoke-testing that's easier to set up and scale than
      trying to test on real h/w?
    . something else?
      [your idea goes here!]
  - in all areas our legacy code and back-compatibility requirements
    are threatening to choke forward progress if we don't make serious
    efforts to get on top of them
  - there's no easy way for people to use parts of QEMU like the CPU
    emulation, or to add their own devices without having to write lots
    of C code (we're firmly in a "one monolithic blob of code" setup
    right now and disentangling and setting clear API dividing lines
    will be a lot of work)
    [Making QEMU more modular would help with defeating the legacy
    and back-compat dragons, though]

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-13 12:50   ` Alex Bennée
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alex Bennée @ 2017-03-13 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> writes:

> On 12 March 2017 at 21:45, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.
>>
>> So far the agenda is:
>>
>> - Direction of QEMU and toolstack in light of Google Cloud blog:
>>   https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/01/7-ways-we-harden-our-KVM-hypervisor-at-Google-Cloud-security-in-plaintext.html
>

> Ah, I'd forgotten that this was on the call agenda. I actually
> had an interesting conversation with Alex Graf last week about
> some similar topics, which I guess you could generally summarize
> as "what are the issues we need to address as a project in order
> to not become irrelevant in five years time". Since I wrote them
> up for an internal "what I did on my holi^Wconference trip" report
> I might as well repost them here:
>
>   - on the "VM support" side, QEMU is more used because it's the only
>     production-quality option in this space, rather than because its
>     users love it. (cf the Google choice to replace it.) It's also got
>     a pretty poor security record. It wouldn't be too surprising if
>     some time in the next five years somebody writes a replacement in
>     a safer language (perhaps also targeting only the VM support role)
>     and it got enough mindshare and takeup to eclipse QEMU.
>     [Is it too early/daft to think about prototyping being able to
>      write QEMU device emulation in Rust ?]

I think rust has the potential to be very interesting. I've been
watching to remacs project with interest:

  https://github.com/Wilfred/remacs

They are attempting to port Emacs to rust in a piecemeal way. Whether
this works remains to be seen but it is certainly an interesting
approach compared to other "re-write it all" approaches.

>     If the "VM support" usecase moves to another project then QEMU
>     will become a very quiet backwater...
>   - on the "emulation" side, nobody is clearly articulating a purpose
>     for QEMU, a reason why you should use it rather than other modelling
>     technologies (or rather than using real hardware). As a result the
>     efforts applied to QEMU are somewhat unfocused. Are we trying to be:
>     . a dev platform before easy h/w availability?
>       [not easy for QEMU for several reasons]
>     . a dev tool that provides better introspection into guest
>       behaviour than running on h/w?
>       [if so we should put more work into improving our introspection
>        and guest tracing capabilities!]

For example now we support atomics in the TCG it would be fairly easy* to
port something like the ThreadSanitizer (which has fairly hefty memory
requirements) as a tool for debugging system code.

>     . primarily a tool for doing automated CI testing and one-off
>       developer smoke-testing that's easier to set up and scale than
>       trying to test on real h/w?
>     . something else?
>       [your idea goes here!]
>   - in all areas our legacy code and back-compatibility requirements
>     are threatening to choke forward progress if we don't make serious
>     efforts to get on top of them
>   - there's no easy way for people to use parts of QEMU like the CPU
>     emulation, or to add their own devices without having to write lots
>     of C code (we're firmly in a "one monolithic blob of code" setup
>     right now and disentangling and setting clear API dividing lines
>     will be a lot of work)

I spoke to Edgar about posting his rports patch set as a catalyst for
discussion. Certainly for modelling hobby projects or new hardware QEMU
could do with support for rapid prototyping. Others have mentioned maybe
including a scripting language integration for device modelling -
although I still hold the view that what ever language you choose will
be the "wrong one" according to the majority of developers.

--
Alex Bennée

* Re: KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-13 14:12     ` Juan Quintela
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Juan Quintela @ 2017-03-13 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 12 March 2017 at 21:45, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.
>>
>> So far the agenda is:
>>
>> - Direction of QEMU and toolstack in light of Google Cloud blog:
>>   https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/01/7-ways-we-harden-our-KVM-hypervisor-at-Google-Cloud-security-in-plaintext.html
>

> Ah, I'd forgotten that this was on the call agenda. I actually
> had an interesting conversation with Alex Graf last week about
> some similar topics, which I guess you could generally summarize
> as "what are the issues we need to address as a project in order
> to not become irrelevant in five years time". Since I wrote them
> up for an internal "what I did on my holi^Wconference trip" report
> I might as well repost them here:
>
>   - on the "VM support" side, QEMU is more used because it's the only
>     production-quality option in this space, rather than because its
>     users love it. (cf the Google choice to replace it.) It's also got
>     a pretty poor security record.

On a previous life, I have to work on making qemu pass Common Criteria.
Not to be able to remove large bits of it that we were not interested
was a mess (basically we care about kvm + a bunch of devices, but it was
impossible to remove things like TCG).

>     It wouldn't be too surprising if
>     some time in the next five years somebody writes a replacement in
>     a safer language (perhaps also targeting only the VM support role)
>     and it got enough mindshare and takeup to eclipse QEMU.
>     [Is it too early/daft to think about prototyping being able to
>      write QEMU device emulation in Rust ?]
>     If the "VM support" usecase moves to another project then QEMU
>     will become a very quiet backwater...

>   - on the "emulation" side, nobody is clearly articulating a purpose
>     for QEMU, a reason why you should use it rather than other modelling
>     technologies (or rather than using real hardware). As a result the
>     efforts applied to QEMU are somewhat unfocused. Are we trying to be:
>     . a dev platform before easy h/w availability?
>       [not easy for QEMU for several reasons]
>     . a dev tool that provides better introspection into guest
>       behaviour than running on h/w?
>       [if so we should put more work into improving our introspection
>        and guest tracing capabilities!]
>     . primarily a tool for doing automated CI testing and one-off
>       developer smoke-testing that's easier to set up and scale than
>       trying to test on real h/w?
>     . something else?
>       [your idea goes here!]
>   - in all areas our legacy code and back-compatibility requirements
>     are threatening to choke forward progress if we don't make serious
>     efforts to get on top of them

But how? and When?

If you get some new interfaces and some devices are not ported, what are
we going to do?
- require the people that do the new interfaces to update the legacy
  code (and they will get bored)
- remove the unmaintained code after some time

Both approaches have its advantages and disadvantages.

>   - there's no easy way for people to use parts of QEMU like the CPU
>     emulation, or to add their own devices without having to write lots
>     of C code (we're firmly in a "one monolithic blob of code" setup
>     right now and disentangling and setting clear API dividing lines
>     will be a lot of work)
>     [Making QEMU more modular would help with defeating the legacy
>     and back-compat dragons, though]

That would be ideal, but where to start?  Think of something as "simple"
asd adding a struct of operations that implement the differences for
TCG, xen and kvm.  And you see that you get into having to rewrite lot
of code after moving to that abstraction just the more simple
operations.

Later, Juan.

From: Juan Quintela @ 2017-03-13 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-13 14:17       ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-13 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 March 2017 at 15:12, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:
> Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
>>     [Making QEMU more modular would help with defeating the legacy
>>     and back-compat dragons, though]
>
> That would be ideal, but where to start?  Think of something as "simple"
> asd adding a struct of operations that implement the differences for
> TCG, xen and kvm.  And you see that you get into having to rewrite lot
> of code after moving to that abstraction just the more simple
> operations.

Oh, indeed, it's a huge and painful amount of work that
doesn't actually produce a product with more features when
you've done it. But if it was simple and easy we'd have
already done it and it wouldn't merit listing on a
"big problems we need to solve somehow" list :-)

thanks
-- PMM

From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-13 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-14  8:03     ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2017-03-14  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 03:12:07PM +0100, Juan Quintela wrote:
> Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> > On 12 March 2017 at 21:45, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.
> >>
> >> So far the agenda is:
> >>
> >> - Direction of QEMU and toolstack in light of Google Cloud blog:
> >>   https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/01/7-ways-we-harden-our-KVM-hypervisor-at-Google-Cloud-security-in-plaintext.html
> >

> > Ah, I'd forgotten that this was on the call agenda. I actually
> > had an interesting conversation with Alex Graf last week about
> > some similar topics, which I guess you could generally summarize
> > as "what are the issues we need to address as a project in order
> > to not become irrelevant in five years time". Since I wrote them
> > up for an internal "what I did on my holi^Wconference trip" report
> > I might as well repost them here:
> >
> >   - on the "VM support" side, QEMU is more used because it's the only
> >     production-quality option in this space, rather than because its
> >     users love it. (cf the Google choice to replace it.) It's also got
> >     a pretty poor security record.
>
> On a previous life, I have to work on making qemu pass Common Criteria.
> Not to be able to remove large bits of it that we were not interested
> was a mess (basically we care about kvm + a bunch of devices, but it was
> impossible to remove things like TCG).

There was a project to move the build system to Kconfig.  Today some
block drivers can be loaded at run-time instead of built into the QEMU
binary.

Actually we don't need Kconfig if we continue developing module support.
For example, if accelerators become modules then you simply don't ship
or load the TCG and qtest modules.

ISTR the next are to modularize was ui/ so that GTK, SDL, SPICE, etc can
be loaded on-demand and do not need to be included in the core QEMU
package.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14  8:13   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2017-03-14  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:02:01AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 12 March 2017 at 21:45, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> > Hi
> >
> > Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.
> >
> > So far the agenda is:
> >
> > - Direction of QEMU and toolstack in light of Google Cloud blog:
> >   https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/01/7-ways-we-harden-our-KVM-hypervisor-at-Google-Cloud-security-in-plaintext.html
>

> Ah, I'd forgotten that this was on the call agenda. I actually
> had an interesting conversation with Alex Graf last week about
> some similar topics, which I guess you could generally summarize
> as "what are the issues we need to address as a project in order
> to not become irrelevant in five years time". Since I wrote them
> up for an internal "what I did on my holi^Wconference trip" report
> I might as well repost them here:
>
>   - on the "VM support" side, QEMU is more used because it's the only
>     production-quality option in this space, rather than because its
>     users love it. (cf the Google choice to replace it.) It's also got
>     a pretty poor security record. It wouldn't be too surprising if
>     some time in the next five years somebody writes a replacement in
>     a safer language (perhaps also targeting only the VM support role)
>     and it got enough mindshare and takeup to eclipse QEMU.
>     [Is it too early/daft to think about prototyping being able to
>      write QEMU device emulation in Rust ?]

We can move to a safer language starting with the device emulation
layer.  Keep the rest in C for now.  Use a language that has good C
interoperability or a convenient foreign function interface.

Start writing new device models in the new language.  Convert existing
devices if they are good candidates, like the e1000 NIC emulation.

The minimum requirements for the new language:
1. Does it support the host operating systems that QEMU runs on?
2. Does it support the host architectures that QEMU runs on?
3. Is it safer than C even when writing code to operate on guest RAM
   (i.e. it's no good if you must use unsafe primitives to do the
   systems programming tasks that QEMU requires)?
4. Is C interoperability convenient and high performance?

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14  8:37     ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-14  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 March 2017 at 09:13, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:02:01AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> The minimum requirements for the new language:
> 1. Does it support the host operating systems that QEMU runs on?
> 2. Does it support the host architectures that QEMU runs on?

Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
don't support Itanium or AIX...

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14  8:53       ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2017-03-14  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:

>>   - on the "VM support" side, QEMU is more used because it's the only
>>     production-quality option in this space, rather than because its
>>     users love it. (cf the Google choice to replace it.) It's also got
>>     a pretty poor security record. It wouldn't be too surprising if
>>     some time in the next five years somebody writes a replacement in
>>     a safer language (perhaps also targeting only the VM support role)
>>     and it got enough mindshare and takeup to eclipse QEMU.
>>     [Is it too early/daft to think about prototyping being able to
>>      write QEMU device emulation in Rust ?]
>
> We can move to a safer language starting with the device emulation
> layer.  Keep the rest in C for now.  Use a language that has good C
> interoperability or a convenient foreign function interface.
>
> Start writing new device models in the new language.  Convert existing
> devices if they are good candidates, like the e1000 NIC emulation.
>
> The minimum requirements for the new language:
> 1. Does it support the host operating systems that QEMU runs on?
> 2. Does it support the host architectures that QEMU runs on?
> 3. Is it safer than C even when writing code to operate on guest RAM
>    (i.e. it's no good if you must use unsafe primitives to do the
>    systems programming tasks that QEMU requires)?
> 4. Is C interoperability convenient and high performance?

That is one approach.  Other is to move to a "safer" language the parts
that are not performance sensitive.  Our command line parsing and device
object done is C just make things much, much worse for no gain.  A
language better for dealing with strings and things like that?

Later, Juan.

PD.  And before anyone asked, a language that is not able to get right:
   a = "hello"
   b = "world"
   c = a + " " + b

   (put any syntax you like) without having to wonder about memory
   allocation, sizes, etc is not really valid to work with strings IMHO.

From: Juan Quintela @ 2017-03-14  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-14  8:59         ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2017-03-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 14 March 2017 at 09:13, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:02:01AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> The minimum requirements for the new language:
>> 1. Does it support the host operating systems that QEMU runs on?
>> 2. Does it support the host architectures that QEMU runs on?
>
> Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
> a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
> a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
> For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
> and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
> has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
> Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
> would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
> on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
> don't support Itanium or AIX...

YES, YES and YES.

I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.

Now more seriously, I can (relatively easy) compile test my pull
requests with:
- linux x86 (latest fedora, but I can get an older one if needed)
- linux x86_64 (latest fedor,, but the same)
- mingw64 32bit (latest fedora, but here I have the problem that Peter
  uses a different crosscompiler than me)
- mingw64 32bit (the same)

But for the rest, I need to wait that somebody told me that it breaks
the build.  Normally it is things like size_t is 32bit instead of 64bit
or some stupid things like that, that are trivial to fix if I can
compile there before doing the pull submission.

Later, Juan.

From: Juan Quintela @ 2017-03-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 14 March 2017 at 09:13, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:02:01AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> The minimum requirements for the new language:
>> 1. Does it support the host operating systems that QEMU runs on?
>> 2. Does it support the host architectures that QEMU runs on?
>
> Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
> a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
> a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
> For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
> and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
> has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
> Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
> would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
> on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
> don't support Itanium or AIX...

YES, YES and YES.

I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.

Now more seriously, I can (relatively easy) compile test my pull
requests with:
- linux x86 (latest fedora, but I can get an older one if needed)
- linux x86_64 (latest fedor,, but the same)
- mingw64 32bit (latest fedora, but here I have the problem that Peter
  uses a different crosscompiler than me)
- mingw64 32bit (the same)

But for the rest, I need to wait that somebody told me that it breaks
the build.  Normally it is things like size_t is 32bit instead of 64bit
or some stupid things like that, that are trivial to fix if I can
compile there before doing the pull submission.

Later, Juan.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-03-14  9:24   ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2017-03-14  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13.03.2017 11:02, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 12 March 2017 at 21:45, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.
>>
>> So far the agenda is:
>>
>> - Direction of QEMU and toolstack in light of Google Cloud blog:
>>   https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/01/7-ways-we-harden-our-KVM-hypervisor-at-Google-Cloud-security-in-plaintext.html
>

> Ah, I'd forgotten that this was on the call agenda. I actually
> had an interesting conversation with Alex Graf last week about
> some similar topics, which I guess you could generally summarize
> as "what are the issues we need to address as a project in order
> to not become irrelevant in five years time". Since I wrote them
> up for an internal "what I did on my holi^Wconference trip" report
> I might as well repost them here:
>
>   - on the "VM support" side, QEMU is more used because it's the only
>     production-quality option in this space, rather than because its
>     users love it. (cf the Google choice to replace it.) It's also got
>     a pretty poor security record. It wouldn't be too surprising if
>     some time in the next five years somebody writes a replacement in
>     a safer language (perhaps also targeting only the VM support role)
>     and it got enough mindshare and takeup to eclipse QEMU.
>     [Is it too early/daft to think about prototyping being able to
>      write QEMU device emulation in Rust ?]
>     If the "VM support" usecase moves to another project then QEMU
>     will become a very quiet backwater...
>   - on the "emulation" side, nobody is clearly articulating a purpose
>     for QEMU, a reason why you should use it rather than other modelling
>     technologies (or rather than using real hardware). As a result the
>     efforts applied to QEMU are somewhat unfocused. Are we trying to be:
>     . a dev platform before easy h/w availability?
>       [not easy for QEMU for several reasons]

What reasons exactly do you mean here?
I think that this would be very useful feature, since AFAIK there is no
real good open source emulator "Lego" set available yet. We'd "just"
need a possibility to build machines on the fly instead of hard-wiring
them in the C source code...

>   - in all areas our legacy code and back-compatibility requirements
>     are threatening to choke forward progress if we don't make serious
>     efforts to get on top of them

... and don't forget all the code that is in "orphan" state since many
years... it's often hard to get patches accepted that primarily touches
files that nobody feels responsible for...

Maybe it's really time for a "spring-cleaning", break with some
compatibility cruft and do a 3.0 release afterwards ;-)

 Thomas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14  9:33       ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2017-03-14  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> writes:

> On 14 March 2017 at 09:13, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:02:01AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> The minimum requirements for the new language:
>> 1. Does it support the host operating systems that QEMU runs on?
>> 2. Does it support the host architectures that QEMU runs on?
>
> Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
> a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
> a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
> For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
> and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
> has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
> Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
> would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
> on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
> don't support Itanium or AIX...

Yes, please.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14 10:13     ` Kevin Wolf
From: Kevin Wolf @ 2017-03-14 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth

Am 14.03.2017 um 10:24 hat Thomas Huth geschrieben:
> >   - in all areas our legacy code and back-compatibility requirements
> >     are threatening to choke forward progress if we don't make serious
> >     efforts to get on top of them
>
> ... and don't forget all the code that is in "orphan" state since many
> years... it's often hard to get patches accepted that primarily touches
> files that nobody feels responsible for...
>
> Maybe it's really time for a "spring-cleaning", break with some
> compatibility cruft and do a 3.0 release afterwards ;-)

If we decide that the situation is bad enough to do this, I'd vote for
breaking not just "some" compatibility for a usual release after three
months, but to take more time for it, completely break with the old
interfaces and declare this a new QEMU that libvirt should have a
separate driver for. And then throw out _all_ of the interfaces that
don't match the design any more that we have in mind, even if this means
a temporary regression in features.

This means one big cut rather than having every release just slightly
incompatible with the previous releases, which should actually make it
more managable, even though the change is more radical.

Kevin

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14 10:32     ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-14 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 March 2017 at 10:24, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 13.03.2017 11:02, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> Are we trying to be:
>>     . a dev platform before easy h/w availability?
>>       [not easy for QEMU for several reasons]
>
> What reasons exactly do you mean here?

The main ones I had in mind are:
 * to do this you need really to have access to the specs for
   new hardware features early. If you wait for publication
   of official specs to start implementation then you won't
   be done until most of the "window" before h/w is available
   has already closed
 * you need to actually implement new features, which requires
   more work than we're currently putting in -- for instance
   for ARM we still haven't finished implementing virtualization
   emulation, and we haven't even started with v8.1 features yet
 * you need to do better testing than just "does it boot
   Linux?" if you're trying to provide a dev platform for
   people to use for developing Linux...

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14 10:39     ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-14 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 March 2017 at 09:13, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
> The minimum requirements for the new language:

> 3. Is it safer than C even when writing code to operate on guest RAM
>    (i.e. it's no good if you must use unsafe primitives to do the
>    systems programming tasks that QEMU requires)?

My impression is that many of our security vulnerabilities are
overflows in local arrays in the device emulation (for instance
good old VENOM), so I think that even if a candidate safer
language only provided bounds-checking on arrays it knew about
and not on raw guest RAM it would still be a significant
improvement. (Accesses to guest RAM are often via APIs that
we could add bounds-checks to "by hand" anyway.) So I wouldn't
consider this as a "minimum requirement", only a "nice to have".

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14 10:44       ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2017-03-14 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, Stefan Hajnoczi

On 14/03/2017 11:39, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> 3. Is it safer than C even when writing code to operate on guest RAM
>>    (i.e. it's no good if you must use unsafe primitives to do the
>>    systems programming tasks that QEMU requires)?
> My impression is that many of our security vulnerabilities are
> overflows in local arrays in the device emulation (for instance
> good old VENOM), so I think that even if a candidate safer
> language only provided bounds-checking on arrays it knew about
> and not on raw guest RAM it would still be a significant
> improvement. (Accesses to guest RAM are often via APIs that
> we could add bounds-checks to "by hand" anyway.)

Right, this was one of the reasons behind the introduction of
MemoryRegionCache: get both speed (like address_space_map) and bounds
checking (like address_space_rw).

It looks like it should be easy to wrap it in any language, be it Rust
or a scripting language like Lua.

Paolo

* Re: KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14 10:56           ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-14 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 March 2017 at 09:59, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:
> Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
>> On 14 March 2017 at 09:13, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:02:01AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>> The minimum requirements for the new language:
>>> 1. Does it support the host operating systems that QEMU runs on?
>>> 2. Does it support the host architectures that QEMU runs on?
>>
>> Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
>> a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
>> a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
>> For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
>> and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
>> has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
>> Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
>> would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
>> on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
>> don't support Itanium or AIX...
>
> YES, YES and YES.
>
> I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.

OSX is actually in the set that's OK because I have a
machine I can test on. The ones that are problems are
all the BSDs, AIX, Solaris, Haiku, and architectures
sparc, mips, ia64, s390.

thanks
-- PMM

From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-14 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-14 12:20       ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2017-03-14 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Wolf
  Cc: Thomas Huth, Peter Maydell, QEMU Developer,
	KVM devel mailing list, Juan Quintela

Kevin Wolf <kwolf@redhat.com> writes:

> Am 14.03.2017 um 10:24 hat Thomas Huth geschrieben:
>> >   - in all areas our legacy code and back-compatibility requirements
>> >     are threatening to choke forward progress if we don't make serious
>> >     efforts to get on top of them
>>
>> ... and don't forget all the code that is in "orphan" state since many
>> years... it's often hard to get patches accepted that primarily touches
>> files that nobody feels responsible for...
>>
>> Maybe it's really time for a "spring-cleaning", break with some
>> compatibility cruft and do a 3.0 release afterwards ;-)
>
> If we decide that the situation is bad enough to do this, I'd vote for
> breaking not just "some" compatibility for a usual release after three
> months, but to take more time for it, completely break with the old
> interfaces and declare this a new QEMU that libvirt should have a
> separate driver for. And then throw out _all_ of the interfaces that
> don't match the design any more that we have in mind, even if this means
> a temporary regression in features.
>
> This means one big cut rather than having every release just slightly
> incompatible with the previous releases, which should actually make it
> more managable, even though the change is more radical.

Of course, "legacy code and back-compatibility requirements" will start
to grow back the minute we release new interfaces.  Whether a big cut is
worthwhile depends on the seriousness of the current situation and the
rate of regrowth.  There's hope the weeds will grow more slowly around
well-designed new interfaces.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14 12:35         ` Kevin Wolf
From: Kevin Wolf @ 2017-03-14 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Armbruster
  Cc: Thomas Huth, Peter Maydell, QEMU Developer,
	KVM devel mailing list, Juan Quintela

Am 14.03.2017 um 13:20 hat Markus Armbruster geschrieben:
> Kevin Wolf <kwolf@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Am 14.03.2017 um 10:24 hat Thomas Huth geschrieben:
> >>
> >> ... and don't forget all the code that is in "orphan" state since many
> >> years... it's often hard to get patches accepted that primarily touches
> >> files that nobody feels responsible for...
> >>
> >> Maybe it's really time for a "spring-cleaning", break with some
> >> compatibility cruft and do a 3.0 release afterwards ;-)
> >
> > If we decide that the situation is bad enough to do this, I'd vote for
> > breaking not just "some" compatibility for a usual release after three
> > months, but to take more time for it, completely break with the old
> > interfaces and declare this a new QEMU that libvirt should have a
> > separate driver for. And then throw out _all_ of the interfaces that
> > don't match the design any more that we have in mind, even if this means
> > a temporary regression in features.
> >
> > This means one big cut rather than having every release just slightly
> > incompatible with the previous releases, which should actually make it
> > more managable, even though the change is more radical.
>
> Of course, "legacy code and back-compatibility requirements" will start
> to grow back the minute we release new interfaces.  Whether a big cut is
> worthwhile depends on the seriousness of the current situation and the
> rate of regrowth.  There's hope the weeds will grow more slowly around
> well-designed new interfaces.

There is no doubt that this would happen. But we've managed to keep
compatibility more or less for 10 years, so if we extrapolate from that,
it means that in another 10 years we need another cut. Doesn't sound too
bad.

I'm not completely sure whether our situation really requires it, but
it's true that we're (or at least I am) spending a lot of time for
keeping compatibility with old interfaces that nobody really likes and
that simply don't match any more how things really work.

There are more nice-to-have things like consistently spelt option names
and monitor commands that will never be important enough to be cleaned
up on their own.

So I'm not saying that we should do this big cut, but _if_ we say that
3.0 is to be considered incompatible, then I'd go for the radical
approach rather than making things incompatible in hundreds of details,
but not really attacking the big problems that slow down development.

Kevin

@ 2017-03-14 16:01         ` Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2017-03-14 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Quintela

* Juan Quintela (quintela@redhat.com) wrote:
> Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> > On 14 March 2017 at 09:13, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:02:01AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> >> The minimum requirements for the new language:
> >> 1. Does it support the host operating systems that QEMU runs on?
> >> 2. Does it support the host architectures that QEMU runs on?
> >
> > Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
> > a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
> > a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
> > For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
> > and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
> > has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
> > Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
> > would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
> > on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
> > don't support Itanium or AIX...
>
> YES, YES and YES.
>
> I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.
>
> Now more seriously, I can (relatively easy) compile test my pull
> requests with:
> - linux x86 (latest fedora, but I can get an older one if needed)
> - linux x86_64 (latest fedor,, but the same)
> - mingw64 32bit (latest fedora, but here I have the problem that Peter
>   uses a different crosscompiler than me)
> - mingw64 32bit (the same)
>
> But for the rest, I need to wait that somebody told me that it breaks
> the build.  Normally it is things like size_t is 32bit instead of 64bit
> or some stupid things like that, that are trivial to fix if I can
> compile there before doing the pull submission.

I also do a FreeBSD VM, and grab an aarch64 and/or PPC bigendian host
to test on.

(I could grab an ia64 host, but I don't think I could find anything
to install on it that would be new enough for the rest of our build
requirements).

Dave

@ 2017-03-14 16:20           ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2017-03-14 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
  Cc: Juan Quintela, Peter Maydell, QEMU Developer,
	KVM devel mailing list, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 04:01:14PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Juan Quintela (quintela@redhat.com) wrote:
> > Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
> > > a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
> > > a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
> > > For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
> > > and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
> > > has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
> > > Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
> > > would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
> > > on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
> > > don't support Itanium or AIX...
> >
> > YES, YES and YES.
> >
> > I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.
> >
> > Now more seriously, I can (relatively easy) compile test my pull
> > requests with:
> > - linux x86 (latest fedora, but I can get an older one if needed)
> > - linux x86_64 (latest fedor,, but the same)
> > - mingw64 32bit (latest fedora, but here I have the problem that Peter
> >   uses a different crosscompiler than me)
> > - mingw64 32bit (the same)
> >
> > But for the rest, I need to wait that somebody told me that it breaks
> > the build.  Normally it is things like size_t is 32bit instead of 64bit
> > or some stupid things like that, that are trivial to fix if I can
> > compile there before doing the pull submission.
>
> I also do a FreeBSD VM, and grab an aarch64 and/or PPC bigendian host
> to test on.
>
> (I could grab an ia64 host, but I don't think I could find anything
> to install on it that would be new enough for the rest of our build
> requirements).

Indeed, ia64 is a fully dead as a host architecture at this point, only
interesting as a historical curiosity. Paolo already killed ia64 KVM
host support in Linux git back in 2014.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|

* Obsolete QEMU host environments (was: Re: KVM call for 2017-03-14)
@ 2017-03-14 16:54               ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2017-03-14 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
  Cc: Juan Quintela, Peter Maydell, QEMU Developer,
	KVM devel mailing list, Stefan Hajnoczi, Richard Henderson,
	Aurelien Jarno

On 14.03.2017 17:20, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 04:01:14PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
>> * Juan Quintela (quintela@redhat.com) wrote:

>>> YES, YES and YES.
>>>
>>> I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.
>>>
>>> Now more seriously, I can (relatively easy) compile test my pull
>>> requests with:
>>> - linux x86 (latest fedora, but I can get an older one if needed)
>>> - linux x86_64 (latest fedor,, but the same)
>>> - mingw64 32bit (latest fedora, but here I have the problem that Peter
>>>   uses a different crosscompiler than me)
>>> - mingw64 32bit (the same)
>>>
>>> But for the rest, I need to wait that somebody told me that it breaks
>>> the build.  Normally it is things like size_t is 32bit instead of 64bit
>>> or some stupid things like that, that are trivial to fix if I can
>>> compile there before doing the pull submission.
>>
>> I also do a FreeBSD VM, and grab an aarch64 and/or PPC bigendian host
>> to test on.
>>
>> (I could grab an ia64 host, but I don't think I could find anything
>> to install on it that would be new enough for the rest of our build
>> requirements).
>
> Indeed, ia64 is a fully dead as a host architecture at this point, only
> interesting as a historical curiosity. Paolo already killed ia64 KVM
> host support in Linux git back in 2014.

Our ia64 host backend in QEMU (tcg/ia64) is still marked as maintained
... so it's maybe not as dead as you think? Or should we rather get rid
of that soon, too?

 Thomas

* [Qemu-devel] Obsolete QEMU host environments (was: Re: KVM call for 2017-03-14)
@ 2017-03-14 16:54               ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2017-03-14 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
  Cc: Juan Quintela, Peter Maydell, QEMU Developer,
	KVM devel mailing list, Stefan Hajnoczi, Richard Henderson,
	Aurelien Jarno

On 14.03.2017 17:20, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 04:01:14PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
>> * Juan Quintela (quintela@redhat.com) wrote:

>>> YES, YES and YES.
>>>
>>> I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.
>>>
>>> Now more seriously, I can (relatively easy) compile test my pull
>>> requests with:
>>> - linux x86 (latest fedora, but I can get an older one if needed)
>>> - linux x86_64 (latest fedor,, but the same)
>>> - mingw64 32bit (latest fedora, but here I have the problem that Peter
>>>   uses a different crosscompiler than me)
>>> - mingw64 32bit (the same)
>>>
>>> But for the rest, I need to wait that somebody told me that it breaks
>>> the build.  Normally it is things like size_t is 32bit instead of 64bit
>>> or some stupid things like that, that are trivial to fix if I can
>>> compile there before doing the pull submission.
>>
>> I also do a FreeBSD VM, and grab an aarch64 and/or PPC bigendian host
>> to test on.
>>
>> (I could grab an ia64 host, but I don't think I could find anything
>> to install on it that would be new enough for the rest of our build
>> requirements).
>
> Indeed, ia64 is a fully dead as a host architecture at this point, only
> interesting as a historical curiosity. Paolo already killed ia64 KVM
> host support in Linux git back in 2014.

Our ia64 host backend in QEMU (tcg/ia64) is still marked as maintained
... so it's maybe not as dead as you think? Or should we rather get rid
of that soon, too?

 Thomas

* Re: Obsolete QEMU host environments (was: Re: KVM call for 2017-03-14)
@ 2017-03-14 17:07                 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-14 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth
  Cc: Daniel P. Berrange, Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Juan Quintela,
	QEMU Developer, KVM devel mailing list, Stefan Hajnoczi,

On 14 March 2017 at 17:54, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
> Our ia64 host backend in QEMU (tcg/ia64) is still marked as maintained
> ... so it's maybe not as dead as you think? Or should we rather get rid
> of that soon, too?

I don't actually mind whether we keep tcg/ia64 or drop it.
But if we keep it then we must have a machine we can test
it on -- that means one I have access to (and which we
can otherwise use for central testing), not just one the
maintainer might happen to have.

Also, that MAINTAINERS entry was added in 2011, so it's
probably about as out of date as the code :-)

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Obsolete QEMU host environments (was: Re: KVM call for 2017-03-14)
@ 2017-03-14 17:07                 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-14 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth
  Cc: Daniel P. Berrange, Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Juan Quintela,

@ 2017-03-14 17:14             ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2017-03-14 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, Peter Maydell, QEMU Developer,
	KVM devel mailing list, Juan Quintela

On 14/03/2017 17:20, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> I also do a FreeBSD VM, and grab an aarch64 and/or PPC bigendian host
>> to test on.
>>
>> (I could grab an ia64 host, but I don't think I could find anything
>> to install on it that would be new enough for the rest of our build
>> requirements).
>
> Indeed, ia64 is a fully dead as a host architecture at this point, only
> interesting as a historical curiosity. Paolo already killed ia64 KVM
> host support in Linux git back in 2014.

QEMU also never supported ia64 KVM, only qemu-kvm ever did.

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14 17:18           ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2017-03-14 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. David Alan Gilbert

On 14 March 2017 at 17:01, Dr. David Alan Gilbert <dgilbert@redhat.com> wrote:
> I also do a FreeBSD VM

Do you have repro instructions for how to conveniently set
this up?

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-14 17:29             ` Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2017-03-14 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell

* Peter Maydell (peter.maydell@linaro.org) wrote:
> On 14 March 2017 at 17:01, Dr. David Alan Gilbert <dgilbert@redhat.com> wrote:
> > I also do a FreeBSD VM
>
> Do you have repro instructions for how to conveniently set
> this up?

No, but given that it's the first time I've set up a BSD in ~20 years
it can't have been that hard.
It's just a guest with IDE disk, rtl8139 ether.

Then I've got:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/pkgng-intro.html

set up, so then you can just do   pkg install whatever

Remember you need gmake but other than that it gets as far
as moaning about the asm in the optionrom but other than that it
compiles fine.

Dave

@ 2017-03-14 21:09                   ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2017-03-14 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, Thomas Huth
  Cc: Daniel P. Berrange, Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Juan Quintela,

On 03/15/2017 03:07 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 14 March 2017 at 17:54, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Our ia64 host backend in QEMU (tcg/ia64) is still marked as maintained
>> ... so it's maybe not as dead as you think? Or should we rather get rid
>> of that soon, too?
>
> I don't actually mind whether we keep tcg/ia64 or drop it.
> But if we keep it then we must have a machine we can test
> it on -- that means one I have access to (and which we
> can otherwise use for central testing), not just one the
> maintainer might happen to have.
>
> Also, that MAINTAINERS entry was added in 2011, so it's
> probably about as out of date as the code :-)

Red Hat's last ia64 machine died a few years ago, so I haven't
been able to test it for quite some time.

I don't know if Aurelien can still test on ia64 or not.

r~

From: Richard Henderson @ 2017-03-14 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, Thomas Huth
  Cc: Daniel P. Berrange, Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Juan Quintela,

@ 2017-03-15  8:30               ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2017-03-15  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Juan Quintela, Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developer,
	KVM devel mailing list

On Di, 2017-03-14 at 17:29 +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Peter Maydell (peter.maydell@linaro.org) wrote:
> > On 14 March 2017 at 17:01, Dr. David Alan Gilbert <dgilbert@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > I also do a FreeBSD VM
> >
> > Do you have repro instructions for how to conveniently set
> > this up?
>
> No, but given that it's the first time I've set up a BSD in ~20 years
> it can't have been that hard.
> It's just a guest with IDE disk, rtl8139 ether.

freebsd ships at least virtio-blk and virtio-net drivers too (not sure
about virtio-scsi), so no need to go with emulated devices.

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: KVM call for 2017-03-14
@ 2017-03-15  8:39             ` Christian Borntraeger
From: Christian Borntraeger @ 2017-03-15  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, Juan Quintela

On 03/14/2017 11:56 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 14 March 2017 at 09:59, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
>>> a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
>>> a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
>>> For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
>>> and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
>>> has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
>>> Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
>>> would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
>>> on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
>>> don't support Itanium or AIX...
>>
>> YES, YES and YES.
>>
>> I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.
>
> OSX is actually in the set that's OK because I have a
> machine I can test on. The ones that are problems are
> all the BSDs, AIX, Solaris, Haiku, and architectures
> sparc, mips, ia64, s390.

Peter,

if you need an s390 box, you can register for a virtual machine at
https://developer.ibm.com/linuxone/
If you have an account let me know the details and I will try to
find the right people in IBM to extend the 120 day testing period
to unlimited.

From: Christian Borntraeger @ 2017-03-15  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, Juan Quintela

@ 2017-03-15  9:40                     ` Daniel P. Berrange
From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2017-03-15  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Thomas Huth, Dr. David Alan Gilbert,
	Juan Quintela, QEMU Developer, KVM devel mailing list,
	Stefan Hajnoczi, Aurelien Jarno

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 07:09:55AM +1000, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On 03/15/2017 03:07 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On 14 March 2017 at 17:54, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Our ia64 host backend in QEMU (tcg/ia64) is still marked as maintained
> > > ... so it's maybe not as dead as you think? Or should we rather get rid
> > > of that soon, too?
> >
> > I don't actually mind whether we keep tcg/ia64 or drop it.
> > But if we keep it then we must have a machine we can test
> > it on -- that means one I have access to (and which we
> > can otherwise use for central testing), not just one the
> > maintainer might happen to have.
> >
> > Also, that MAINTAINERS entry was added in 2011, so it's
> > probably about as out of date as the code :-)
>
> Red Hat's last ia64 machine died a few years ago, so I haven't
> been able to test it for quite some time.

AFAIK, HP are the only major vendor who still sell new ia64 machines and
that's high end stuff costing many $$$$$. Even they are pushing people to
x86_64 unless they need ia64 for legacy reasons. Otherwise ebay and other
secondhand marketplaces are the only way to get hold of ia64.

From: Daniel P. Berrange @ 2017-03-15  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Thomas Huth, Dr. David Alan Gilbert,

@ 2017-03-15 10:02                       ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2017-03-15 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange, Aurelien Jarno
  Cc: Richard Henderson, Peter Maydell, Dr. David Alan Gilbert,

On 15.03.2017 10:40, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 07:09:55AM +1000, Richard Henderson wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't actually mind whether we keep tcg/ia64 or drop it.
>>> But if we keep it then we must have a machine we can test
>>> it on -- that means one I have access to (and which we
>>> can otherwise use for central testing), not just one the
>>> maintainer might happen to have.
>>>
>>> Also, that MAINTAINERS entry was added in 2011, so it's
>>> probably about as out of date as the code :-)
>>
>> Red Hat's last ia64 machine died a few years ago, so I haven't
>> been able to test it for quite some time.
>
> AFAIK, HP are the only major vendor who still sell new ia64 machines and
> that's high end stuff costing many $$$$$. Even they are pushing people to
> x86_64 unless they need ia64 for legacy reasons. Otherwise ebay and other
> secondhand marketplaces are the only way to get hold of ia64.

Unless Aurelien speaks up and says that it is still maintained, I'd say
we add a big fat "ia is deprecated and going to be removed" warning to
the configure script once we left the freeze state. If nobody then
speaks up within the next two or three releases of QEMU, we remove the
ia64 support from QEMU.

 Thomas

From: Thomas Huth @ 2017-03-15 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrange, Aurelien Jarno
  Cc: Richard Henderson, Peter Maydell, Dr. David Alan Gilbert,

@ 2017-03-15 10:29           ` Greg Kurz
From: Greg Kurz @ 2017-03-15 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell
  Cc: Juan Quintela, Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developer,
	KVM devel mailing list, Laurent Vivier

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:56:36 +0100
Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

> On 14 March 2017 at 09:59, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
> >> a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
> >> a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
> >> For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
> >> and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
> >> has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
> >> Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
> >> would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
> >> on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
> >> don't support Itanium or AIX...
> >
> > YES, YES and YES.
> >
> > I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.
>
> OSX is actually in the set that's OK because I have a
> machine I can test on. The ones that are problems are
> all the BSDs, AIX, Solaris, Haiku, and architectures

The most relevant links I could find about AIX hosts only mention
QEMU 0.9.1:

http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Qemu
http://www.vivier.eu/Qemu/

I'm not aware of any effort within IBM to support newer versions
of QEMU on an AIX host (Cc'ing Laurent in case he would be aware
of a non-IBM initiative).

I can maybe try to grab an AIX system and see what happens. I'm
okay to run the deprecation process if we choose to go that way.

Cheers.

--
Greg

@ 2017-03-15 11:25               ` Laurent Vivier
From: Laurent Vivier @ 2017-03-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kurz, Peter Maydell

Le 15/03/2017 à 11:29, Greg Kurz a écrit :
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:56:36 +0100
> Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

>>> YES, YES and YES.
>>>
>>> I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.
>>
>> OSX is actually in the set that's OK because I have a
>> machine I can test on. The ones that are problems are
>> all the BSDs, AIX, Solaris, Haiku, and architectures
>
> The most relevant links I could find about AIX hosts only mention
> QEMU 0.9.1:
>
> http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Qemu
> http://www.vivier.eu/Qemu/
>
> I'm not aware of any effort within IBM to support newer versions
> of QEMU on an AIX host (Cc'ing Laurent in case he would be aware
> of a non-IBM initiative).

At this time it was a personal initiative, made possible because I have
worked at Bull on the port of GNOME to AIX and had access to some Bull
AIX Servers.

Now this effort has been moved to the AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/

Perhaps you can try to contact someone inside IBM about this toolbox?

Laurent

From: Laurent Vivier @ 2017-03-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kurz, Peter Maydell

@ 2017-03-15 15:46                     ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2017-03-15 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Thomas Huth, Daniel P. Berrange,
	Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Juan Quintela, QEMU Developer,

On 2017-03-15 07:09, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On 03/15/2017 03:07 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On 14 March 2017 at 17:54, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Our ia64 host backend in QEMU (tcg/ia64) is still marked as maintained
> > > ... so it's maybe not as dead as you think? Or should we rather get rid
> > > of that soon, too?
> >
> > I don't actually mind whether we keep tcg/ia64 or drop it.
> > But if we keep it then we must have a machine we can test
> > it on -- that means one I have access to (and which we
> > can otherwise use for central testing), not just one the
> > maintainer might happen to have.
> >
> > Also, that MAINTAINERS entry was added in 2011, so it's
> > probably about as out of date as the code :-)
>
> Red Hat's last ia64 machine died a few years ago, so I haven't
> been able to test it for quite some time.
>
> I don't know if Aurelien can still test on ia64 or not.

I have the same issue, the last QEMU test I have been able to do on an
ia64 machine dates from last summer, so something like 9 months ago. I
don't think anybody has a lot of interest in ia64 anymore, so I guess
it's time to just remove the ia64 host backend.

Aurelien

From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2017-03-15 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Thomas Huth, Daniel P. Berrange,