On Fri 2017-03-17 11:42:03, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote: > On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 08:55:36AM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote: > > We're all very driver-development-driven, and userspace gets very little > > attention in general. So before just throwing in the towel we should take > > a good look at the reasons why there has been little or no development: is > > it because of fundamental design defects, or because nobody paid attention > > to it? > > > > I strongly suspect it is the latter. > > > > In addition, I suspect end-users of these complex devices don't really care > > about a plugin: they want full control and won't typically use generic > > applications. If they would need support for that, we'd have seen much more > > interest. The main reason for having a plugin is to simplify testing and > > if this is going to be used on cheap hobbyist devkits. > > I think you're looking at it with a programmers hat on, not a users hat. > > Are you really telling me that requiring users to 'su' to root, and then > use media-ctl to manually configure the capture device is what most > users "want" ? If you want to help users, right way is to improve userland support. > Hasn't the way technology has moved towards graphical interfaces, > particularly smart phones, taught us that the vast majority of users > want is intuitive, easy to use interfaces, and not the command line > with reams of documentation? How is it relevant to _kernel_ interfaces? Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html