On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 09:38:28AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote: > Now the BCM2835 I2S controller does appear to have a few features beyond > plain I2S/DSP modes, that not all I2S controllers might have, such as: > - Frame length, FS length, channel position, and channel width are specified > at bit resolution rather than byte/sample/... > - PDM mode (for digital mics). > - Sign extension of RX data. > So, the controller can generate/receive some formats beyond plain I2S/DSP, > but to be honest I doubt that this level of detail needs to be exposed to > the ALSA/ASoC core or user-space, nor is it required to interface to any > typical HW, so it can be hidden in the driver's register programming > implementation. At the minute the driver doesn't even support these features, it just supports plain stereo I2S mode and it *may* be that all that's needed here is the addition of the DSP modes.