On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 06:07:47PM +0200, Vangelis Tasoulas wrote: > Hello, > > I was reading a year+ old article where Steve Scott (CRAY CTO) was > interviewed here: > https://www.nextplatform.com/2016/01/08/cray-cto-connects-the-dots-on-future-interconnects/ > > At a certain point Steve mentions (or at least that's what the article > claims): > > /InfiniBand has another limit in terms of the number of logical IDs, or > LIDs, it can support, which is around 48,000 end points, and for the > most point, people have stayed within that limit. There is an extended > version that has some higher packet overhead that can go to higher > scalability./ > > Is this true? Is there any reference that one can point me to for the > part of the "extended version that has some higher packet overhead that > can go to higher scalability"? > > To the best of my knowledge, there is no extended version defined in the > InfiniBand specification. What is mentioned is that /The unicast LID > range is a flat identifier space defined as 0x0001 to 0xBFFF./ Right, there is no any extended version of that spec. As far as I know, Intel's OmniPath technology is marketed as new and extended version of Infiniband [1], so it is probably that he referenced to it. [1] http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/high-performance-computing-fabrics/omni-path-architecture-fabric-overview.html > > Vangelis >