* [Outreachy] Doubts regarding setup, git version and selection of micro task
@ 2017-04-05 11:34 Tejaswini Poluri
From: Tejaswini Poluri @ 2017-04-05 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini, Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Stefano and Julien,

This is Tejaswini. I had been working as a Senior Software developer in
Samsung and Cavium networks in linux kernel domain previously. I took a
break for one year for personal reasons. I am looking forward to restart my
career as a Linux engineer again with outreachy 2017 internships. I have
experience of working with device trees and virtual filesystems.

Hence, I found the following projects
<https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Outreach_Program_Projects> of
Xen-hypervisor very interesting:
1. Xen on ARM: create multiple guests from device tree
2. Share a page in memory from the VM config file

I have an intel i5 laptop already running both windows 10 + ubuntu 16.04. I
was looking at Nested virtualization
<https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Nested_Virtualization_in_Xen> option to
build and test Xen. Would this work for these projects?

Also, what <https://www.xenproject.org/downloads/xen-archives.html> version
of git are we supposed to work on ?

I would like to work on the XEN-6 task
<https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues/XEN-6?filter=allissues>
present in JIRA. Can I do it with nested virtualization option ?

Looking forward for your reply to start working

Regards,
Tejaswini
Linkendin <https://www.linkedin.com/in/tejaswini-poluri-a8963416>

* Re: [Outreachy] Doubts regarding setup, git version and selection of micro task
@ 2017-04-05 11:51 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2017-04-05 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tejaswini Poluri; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, Wei Liu

On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 05:04:00PM +0530, Tejaswini Poluri wrote:
> Hi Stefano and Julien,
>
> This is Tejaswini. I had been working as a Senior Software developer in
> Samsung and Cavium networks in linux kernel domain previously. I took a
> break for one year for personal reasons. I am looking forward to restart my
> career as a Linux engineer again with outreachy 2017 internships. I have
> experience of working with device trees and virtual filesystems.
>
> Hence, I found the following projects
> <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Outreach_Program_Projects> of
> Xen-hypervisor very interesting:
> 1. Xen on ARM: create multiple guests from device tree
> 2. Share a page in memory from the VM config file
>
> I have an intel i5 laptop already running both windows 10 + ubuntu 16.04. I
> was looking at Nested virtualization
> <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Nested_Virtualization_in_Xen> option to
> build and test Xen. Would this work for these projects?

Won't work for ARM projects.

> Also, what <https://www.xenproject.org/downloads/xen-archives.html> version
> of git are we supposed to work on ?

None of those listed in xen-archives.html.

You need to work on the staging branch of xen.git.

> I would like to work on the XEN-6 task
> <https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues/XEN-6?filter=allissues>
> present in JIRA. Can I do it with nested virtualization option ?

I suppose XEN-7 is more suitable.

Unfortunately you can't easily test blktap2 even if you have Xen set up
on real hardware. Please be aware that you need to ask for actual
blktap2 users to test your change. It's going to take a lot longer to
finish.

Wei.

@ 2017-04-05 12:12   ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-04-05 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, Tejaswini Poluri; +Cc: xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini, lars.kurth

(CC Lars)

Hi,

On 05/04/17 12:51, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 05:04:00PM +0530, Tejaswini Poluri wrote:
>> Hi Stefano and Julien,
>>
>> This is Tejaswini. I had been working as a Senior Software developer in
>> Samsung and Cavium networks in linux kernel domain previously. I took a
>> break for one year for personal reasons. I am looking forward to restart my
>> career as a Linux engineer again with outreachy 2017 internships. I have
>> experience of working with device trees and virtual filesystems.

Thank you for your interest on the project.

I think the deadline for Outreachy has been extended to 13th of April.
You would need to fill out an application (see
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Outreachy/Apply).

>> Hence, I found the following projects
>> <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Outreach_Program_Projects> of
>> Xen-hypervisor very interesting:
>> 1. Xen on ARM: create multiple guests from device tree
>> 2. Share a page in memory from the VM config file
>>
>> I have an intel i5 laptop already running both windows 10 + ubuntu 16.04. I
>> was looking at Nested virtualization
>> <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Nested_Virtualization_in_Xen> option to
>> build and test Xen. Would this work for these projects?
>>

> Won't work for ARM projects.

The second project (Share a page in memory from VM config file) could be
done on both x86 and ARM.

The first will be ARM specific. For that you can either use the real
hardware such as the cubieboard or use the foundation model provided
freely by ARM (see [1]).

>> Also, what <https://www.xenproject.org/downloads/xen-archives.html> version
>> of git are we supposed to work on ?
>>

> None of those listed in xen-archives.html.
>
> You need to work on the staging branch of xen.git.
>
>> I would like to work on the XEN-6 task
>> <https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues/XEN-6?filter=allissues>
>> present in JIRA. Can I do it with nested virtualization option ?
>
> I suppose XEN-7 is more suitable.
>
> Unfortunately you can't easily test blktap2 even if you have Xen set up
> on real hardware. Please be aware that you need to ask for actual
> blktap2 users to test your change. It's going to take a lot longer to
> finish.

You can find a list of small tasks here:

https://xenproject.atlassian.net/browse/XEN-38?jql=labels%20%3D%20SMALL

Let us know which one you plan to pick.

Cheers,

[1] https://developer.arm.com/products/system-design/fixed-virtual-platforms

--
Julien Grall

* Re: [Outreachy] Doubts regarding setup, git version and selection of micro task
@ 2017-04-05 18:19     ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2017-04-05 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall
  Cc: xen-devel, lars.kurth, Stefano Stabellini, Wei Liu, Tejaswini Poluri

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, Julien Grall wrote:
> (CC Lars)
>
> Hi,
>
> On 05/04/17 12:51, Wei Liu wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 05:04:00PM +0530, Tejaswini Poluri wrote:
> > > Hi Stefano and Julien,
> > >
> > > This is Tejaswini. I had been working as a Senior Software developer in
> > > Samsung and Cavium networks in linux kernel domain previously. I took a
> > > break for one year for personal reasons. I am looking forward to restart
> > > my
> > > career as a Linux engineer again with outreachy 2017 internships. I have
> > > experience of working with device trees and virtual filesystems.
>
> Thank you for your interest on the project.
>
> I think the deadline for Outreachy has been extended to 13th of April. You
> would need to fill out an application (see
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Outreachy/Apply).

Indeed. Also see the following page (it says GSoC at the top but applies
to Outreachy too):

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/GSoC_Student_Application_Template

Please add as many details as you can to the "Implementation Plan".

> > > Hence, I found the following projects
> > > <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Outreach_Program_Projects> of
> > > Xen-hypervisor very interesting:
> > > 1. Xen on ARM: create multiple guests from device tree
> > > 2. Share a page in memory from the VM config file
> > >
> > > I have an intel i5 laptop already running both windows 10 + ubuntu 16.04.
> > > was looking at Nested virtualization
> > > <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Nested_Virtualization_in_Xen> option to
> > > build and test Xen. Would this work for these projects?
> > >

> > Won't work for ARM projects.
>
> The second project (Share a page in memory from VM config file) could be done
> on both x86 and ARM.
>
> The first will be ARM specific. For that you can either use the real hardware
> such as the cubieboard or use the foundation model provided freely by ARM (see
> [1]).

Given that we have two other applicants for the "Share a page in memory
from the VM config file", I encourage you to apply for "Xen on ARM:
create multiple guests from device tree". I wrote more details on this
project here: http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=149074542307880

Don't worry about ARM hardware, the foundation model works fine. Click
on "ARMv8-A Foundation Model Platform (For Linux Hosts Only)" on the
page linked by Julien.

You need a cross-compiler, you can download the latest from linaro:

https://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/latest/armv8l-linux-gnueabihf/gcc-linaro-6.3.1-2017.02-x86_64_armv8l-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz

Then follow these instructions:

http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=149021352631609

Please read the following emails in the thread too which tells you how
to build Xen and Linux for ARM. We are still solving some issues but the
steps so far are also on the wiki, see "Firmware & boot-wrapper" ->
arm64 and "Foundation Model":

https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/FastModels

> > > Also, what <https://www.xenproject.org/downloads/xen-archives.html>
> > > version
> > > of git are we supposed to work on ?
> > >

> > None of those listed in xen-archives.html.
> >
> > You need to work on the staging branch of xen.git.
> >
> > > I would like to work on the XEN-6 task
> > > <https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues/XEN-6?filter=allissues>
> > > present in JIRA. Can I do it with nested virtualization option ?
> >
> > I suppose XEN-7 is more suitable.
> >
> > Unfortunately you can't easily test blktap2 even if you have Xen set up
> > on real hardware. Please be aware that you need to ask for actual
> > blktap2 users to test your change. It's going to take a lot longer to
> > finish.
>
> You can find a list of small tasks here:
>
> https://xenproject.atlassian.net/browse/XEN-38?jql=labels%20%3D%20SMALL
>
> Let us know which one you plan to pick.

XEN-20, XEN-29, XEN-38 are all good candidates. If you have any
questions on the tasks, feel free to ask!

@ 2017-04-06  8:44       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2017-04-06  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini, Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu, Tejaswini Poluri

On 05/04/2017 19:19, "Stefano Stabellini" <sstabellini@kernel.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, Julien Grall wrote:
>> (CC Lars)
>>
>> Hi,

>>developer in
>>took a
>>restart
>>have
>>
>> Thank you for your interest on the project.
>>
>> I think the deadline for Outreachy has been extended to 13th of April.
>>You
>> would need to fill out an application (see
>> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Outreachy/Apply).
>
>Indeed. Also see the following page (it says GSoC at the top but applies
>to Outreachy too):
>
>https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/GSoC_Student_Application_Template
>
>Please add as many details as you can to the "Implementation Plan".

I changed the page name to make it program independent: I must have missed
this. The old link will still work. I also added a mapping between
sections in
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Internship_Application_Template and the
Outreachy application form.

Regards