On (04/09/17 12:12), Pavel Machek wrote: [..] > > a side note, > > that's rather unclear to me how would "message delayed" really help. > > if your system hard-lockup so badly and there are no printk messages > > even from NMI watchdog, then we won't be able to print that message. > > We are talking about > > printk("unusual condition"); > do_something_clever(); /* Which unfortunately hard-crashes the machine */ > > that works with my proposal, but not with yours. Seen it happen many > times before. I see your point, sure. I can't completely agree on "that works with my proposal, but not with yours." on SMP system this would be true only if no other CPU holds the console_sem at the time we call printk(). (skipping irrelevant cases when we have suspended console or !online CPU and !CON_ANYTIME console). and there is nothing that makes "no other CPU holds the console_sem" always true on SMP system at any given point in time. so no, "A always works, B never works" is not accurate. but, once again, I see your point. -ss