On Mon 2017-04-10 13:53:39, Sergey Senozhatsky wrote: > On (04/09/17 12:12), Pavel Machek wrote: > [..] > > > a side note, > > > that's rather unclear to me how would "message delayed" really help. > > > if your system hard-lockup so badly and there are no printk messages > > > even from NMI watchdog, then we won't be able to print that message. > > > > We are talking about > > > > printk("unusual condition"); > > do_something_clever(); /* Which unfortunately hard-crashes the machine */ > > > > that works with my proposal, but not with yours. Seen it happen many > > times before. > > I see your point, sure. > I can't completely agree on "that works with my proposal, but not with yours." > > on SMP system this would be true only if no other CPU holds the console_sem > at the time we call printk(). (skipping irrelevant cases when we have suspended > console or !online CPU and !CON_ANYTIME console). and there is nothing that > makes "no other CPU holds the console_sem" always true on SMP system at any > given point in time. so no, "A always works, B never works" is not > accurate. Ok, you are right. OTOH the common case is console_sem is unlocked (at least on systems I develop on). > but, once again, I see your point. Good. Does that mean that the next version of patches will work ok in that case? Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html