On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 08:32:06AM -0500, Eric Blake wrote: > On 04/19/2017 08:27 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote: > > >> > >> I know we haven't done a good job in the past, but should we start > >> trying to do better at documenting callback constraints of new things > >> added in this header? > > > > .bdrv_measure() is a 1:1 pass-through of the public bdrv_measure() > > function. All the public function does is to dereference > > drv->bdrv_measure. > > > > I think that's why many of the other callbacks also have no > > documentation - they inherit semantics from the public function. We > > don't need to duplicate the doc comments. > > Sometimes, though, there are slightly different semantics (for example, > we guarantee that the parameters to the driver code have already been > validated against image size, properly sliced-and-diced to match block > limits, and so on), so that the drivers don't have to do as much work. > Documenting these contract guarantees would be useful. Fair enough. > But as I said, it's not something we have to solve in this series. Okay.