On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 06:27:58PM -0400, Jeff King wrote: > If you have 40 hex digits, then you have 20 hex pairs. But delimiting > them all takes only 19 slashes, since they only go in between pairs[1]. > > So the fully expanded formula is: > > GIT_MAX_HEXSZ + (1) actual hex bytes > (GIT_MAX_HEXSZ / 2) - 1 + (2) internal slashes between pairs > 1 (3) NUL terminator > > which simplifies to 3/2 GIT_MAX_HEXSZ. It may be better to write it out > (the compiler can simplify) or explain that in the comment, though. It > took me a minute to figure out that it was correct, too. I did simplify it like that, but I can improve the comment and the computation, sure. Clearly my comment wasn't good enough to avoid confusion, so I appreciate the feedback. I probably didn't think about because I've touched the notes code recently, where the use of "19" made it more obvious. -- brian m. carlson / brian with sandals: Houston, Texas, US +1 832 623 2791 | https://www.crustytoothpaste.net/~bmc | My opinion only OpenPGP: https://keybase.io/bk2204