From: Elliott Mitchell <ehem+debian@m5p.com>
To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@suse.com>
Cc: 810964@bugs.debian.org, xen-devel@lists.xen.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] EDAC infomation partially missing
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 11:02:30 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 03:54:37AM -0600, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >  I suspect the only paravirtualization needed is to
> > map the physical address of the soft|hard errors to which VM's memory
> > range was effected.  What this effects is which VM should panic in case
> > of hard errors.
>
> Which in turn obviously requires hypervisor interaction. It's not really
> clear to me whether perhaps the driver would better live in the
> hypervisor in the first place for that reason.
>
> And there's a second piece of paravirtualization needed: The driver
> doesn't distinguish physical and machine address spaces, yet the
> addresses reported by hardware are machine ones and hence would
> generally need translation to physical ones in order to assign Dom0-
> local meaning to them (or to determine that the address belongs to
> another VM or the hypervisor).

Merely reporting the machine address to Dom0 is already high value since
it lets you attribute the failure to a memory module.  Without that you
may have a VM or whole machine randomly crash for a completely unknown
reason.

 \BS (    |         EHeM+sigmsg@m5p.com  PGP 87145445         |    )   /
8A19\___\_|_/58D2 7E3D DDF4 7BA6 <-PGP-> 41D1 B375 37D0 8714\_|_/___/5445