Hi! > > Utilities like v4l2-ctl are tied closely to the kernel and are updated whenever > > new APIs appear. But yet another viewer? > > > > Mauro, I find that v4l-utils is a bit polluted with non-core utilities. > > IMHO it should only contain the core libv4l2, core utilities and driver-specific > > utilities. I wonder if we should make a media-utils-contrib for all the non-core > > stuff. > > > > What is your opinion? > > One of the purposes the v4l-utils repository has is that the distributions > get these programs included to their v4l-utils package as it's typically > called. It's debatable whether or how much it should contain device specific > or otherwise random projects, but having a common location for such programs > has clear benefits, too. > > Based on how this one looks it is definitely not an end user application (I > hope I'm not miscategorising it) and as Pavel mentioned, it has been useful > in testing automatic focus / gain control on N900. Well, I intend to take some photos with it. But yes, it is more useful for testing -- it is hard to test digital camera without taking photos -- and eventually I'd like to turn most of it into a library which "real" camera application would link to. But that's future. For now I'd like to have something I can test the kernel drivers with, and perhaps take some photos in the process. Best regards, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html