Hi! > > > Or not, having an RTC set in the past is actually quite common. I'd find > > > it weird to have a new device boot and be set to a date in the future. > > > > ...but still better than board stuck in the past, no? > > > > > Also note that the threshold or offset thing may seem like a good idea > > > but fails with many RTCs because of how they handle leap years. > > > > Well, you can still convert time from rtc to unix time, then do adjustment > > there. > > > > You can only if your machine is running when that happens. If that is > not the case, then you lost and your time is not correct anymore. I don't see why that should be a case... as long as you know what RTC does in event of overflow, and it is not something completely crazy. > > Anyway, I guess it would be cool for rtc drivers to annotate what limits > > underlying storage has to the common code, so that we can do fixups once > > per class, not once per driver. > > Yes, I'm in the middle of the whole rework that allows that. > > I don't understand the sudden urgency of fixing that and the amount of > bikeshedding, seeing that the closest cutoff date is actually 31st of > december 2069 in the rtc subsystem and that anyway the current 32bit > userspace will explode in february 2038. > > My plan from the beginning was to have something for the next stable. I > know nobody can read my mind but again, I don't think there is currently > any urgency to change anything. Yes, mind reading is a problem. I can only read minds of ferungulates, and only if they are physicaly near me :-). Best regards, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html -- You received this message because you are subscribed to "rtc-linux". Membership options at http://groups.google.com/group/rtc-linux . Please read http://groups.google.com/group/rtc-linux/web/checklist before submitting a driver. --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "rtc-linux" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rtc-linux+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.