On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 09:04:25AM +0530, Viresh Kumar wrote: > On 29-06-17, 20:01, Dominik Brodowski wrote: > > On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 04:29:06PM +0530, Viresh Kumar wrote: > > > The cpufreq core and governors aren't supposed to set a limit on how > > > fast we want to try changing the frequency. This is currently done for > > > the legacy governors with help of min_sampling_rate. > > > > > > At worst, we may end up setting the sampling rate to a value lower than > > > the rate at which frequency can be changed and then one of the CPUs in > > > the policy will be only changing frequency for ever. > > > > Is it safe to issue requests to change the CPU frequency so frequently, > > Well, I assumed so. I am not sure the hardware would break though. > Overheating ? > > > even > > on historic hardware such as speedstep-{ich,smi,centrino}? In the past, > > these checks more or less disallowed the running of dynamic frequency > > scaling at least on speedstep-smi[*], > > We must by doing dynamic freq scaling even without this patch. I don't > see why you say the above then. > > All we do here is that we get rid of the limit on how soon we can > change the freq again. Well, as I understand it, first generation "speedstep" was designed more or less to switch frequencies only when AC power was lost or restored. The Linux implementation merely said: "no on-the-fly changes", but switch frequencies whenever a user explicitly requested such a change (presumably only every once in an unspecified while). This same reasoning may be present in other drivers using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL. > > but maybe on a few other platforms as > > well. That's why I am curious on whether this may break systems potentially > > on a hardware level if the hardware was not designed to do dynamic frequency > > scaling (and not just frequency switches on battery/AC). > > Honestly I am not sure if any hardware can break or not, just because > of this commit. I am not *sure* either, I am just worried of the consequences of doing things out-of-spec... Best Dominik