From: Arvin Schnell <aschnell@suse.com>
To: linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [proposal] making filesystem tools more machine friendly
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 12:22:49 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Jan,

I appreciate your proposal and I'm all for it!

Working on the storage part of YaST I face similar problems with
parsing the output of many different programs. Having a common
JSON output will certainly help to make the code simpler and more
robust.

Currently some parsers are very difficult, esp. when the output
attributes contain the chars used as a separator. Some tools even
have machine friendly output but it is still error
prone. E.g. parted does not protect a ':' in the partition name
of its machine friendly output. (Just an example, your proposal
is not about parted.)

ciao
  Arvin

--
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell@suse.com>
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendï¿œrffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nï¿œrnberg)