On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 04:50:00PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote: > On Mon, 3 Jul 2017, James Hogan wrote: > > > > Hardcode the absence of the MIPS16e2 ASE for all the systems that do so > > > for the MIPS16 ASE already, providing for code to be optimized away. > > > > > > Signed-off-by: Maciej W. Rozycki > > > > I'm inclined to agree with Florian, that git formatted patches are > > slightly easier to review, perhaps they just subjectively look more > > familiar. Out of interest, do you not use git for retrieving kernel > > source already? > > I do use GIT for managing the sources themselves of course, however I > keep using `quilt' for patches for two main reasons: > > 1. It works efficiently for the work flow I've got used to, fair enough. > e.g. how do I hand-edit 16th previous diff with GIT; git rebase -i HEAD~17 You can change a commit from "pick" to "edit" to get the rebase to stop and allow you to edit the tree at that point in the series, before continuing with "git rebase --continue" (or --abort to cancel the rebase). > how do I swap patches; git rebase -i $base and reorder the lines > how do I move individual hunks between patches? -- these actions are > trivial with `quilt'. git rebase -i is again the answer, though probably not as trivial as quilt (though perhaps more robust than hand editing patches?). I've found a few ways that generally revolve around using git checkout -p, Example 1: To move a hunk from a later commit into an earlier commit, add x git checkout -p $later_commit && git commit --amend $earlier_commit before the later commit in the interactive rebase. Pick the hunks you want to grab (you can edit them there too), and when rebase is done you have a fixup commit before the later commit. Finally do another rebase with --autosquash: git rebase -i $base --autosquash to automatically squash the fixup commit into the earlier commit Example 2: To move a hunk from an earlier commit into a later commit, you could "git checkout -p" after both commits, e.g. pick $earlier_commit x git checkout -p HEAD~ && git commit --amend pick $intermediate1 pick $later_commit x git checkout -p $later_commit && git commit --amend Interactively undo the change (first checkout -p), and interactively reapply the change (second checkout -p). Being git there's 100 variants of that, e.g. changing pick to edit and doing the commands manually, or doing the same thing as Example 1 for moving hunks later if you aren't expecting conflicts (but you'll have to move the fixup yourself as --autosquash doesn't move fixups later). Its obviously advisable to inspect and diff after rebase -i to double check. Cheers James