On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 16:21:06 +1000 David Gibson wrote: [...] > > > > > > > > Does it make sense at all to use compat mode with KVM_PR since it > > > > requires hypervisor privilege, that we're supposed not to have ? > > > > > > Uh.. what? Availability of the PCR is a question of the guest > > > environment, and PR (at least potentially) supports various different > > > guest environments, both with and without (apparent) hypervisor > > > capability. > > > > > > > I mean mtpcr/mfpcr only work when the CPU is in hypervisor state, and PR > > is supposed to be *mostly* used nested, ie, without hypervisor > > privilege. > > It tends to be used that way, but it doesn't have to be. > > > Thus, I don't see the point in implementing PPC_ARCH_COMPAT in PR... but > > I'm probably missing something :) > > Well, qemu expects to be able to set ARCH_COMPAT for a pseries guest, > if that guest is going into a compatibility mode (which it usually > does these days). We don't want userspace to have to be constantly > checking which KVM implementation its working against, so it makes > sense for PR to implement the call, even if it's a no-op because it > can't really implement the PCR fully. > Thanks for the explanation! > > > > > > Shouldn't we check for kvm_get_one_reg(KVM_REG_PPC_ARCH_COMPAT) and > > > > don't try to do any compat stuff if it isn't supported ? This would > > > > include exiting QEMU if max-cpu-compat was passed on the cmdline. > > > > > > Oh.. right.. that's actually what I meant by setting the PCR. PCR > > > setting from the userspace side via PPC_ARCH_COMPAT, rather than PCR > > > setting from the guest side. > > > > > >